Snow 7ft blade on BX 2360

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #1  

Jnasystems

Silver Member
Tractor
1986 Ford/NH 1520, 1950 Allis Chalmers WD, 2001 NH EC35 (track hoe)
In part of another tractor purchase I acquired a 3pt 7ft rear blade. The tractor I purchased is a 1950 Allis Chalmers WD and I want to use snap coupler attachments with it. Is there anything wrong with using this large an implement for snow? Is the problem with using a larger plow just that the tractor may not be able to pull it? Or is there something that could end up damaging the tractor? I do have a plow on my truck I can use, but I have a circle in front of the house and the truck doesn't do a very good job with it as it has to drive in the grass some to keep the blade on the drive. Obviously if there is a big snow, or I don't get out half way through to make it easier on the tractor, I would use the truck. The tractor would just be needed for cleanup and light snow.

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #2  
I have an old Ford 6' blade I use on my BX2660 in snow and can't imagine problems with using a 7' as described. I wouldn't use it for dirt work, but you have a tractor for that.

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #3  
Jnasystems said:
In part of another tractor purchase I acquired a 3pt 7ft rear blade. The tractor I purchased is a 1950 Allis Chalmers WD and I want to use snap coupler attachments with it. Is there anything wrong with using this large an implement for snow? Is the problem with using a larger plow just that the tractor may not be able to pull it? Or is there something that could end up damaging the tractor? I do have a plow on my truck I can use, but I have a circle in front of the house and the truck doesn't do a very good job with it as it has to drive in the grass some to keep the blade on the drive. Obviously if there is a big snow, or I don't get out half way through to make it easier on the tractor, I would use the truck. The tractor would just be needed for cleanup and light snow.

I think it will be ok for light work. It shouldn't damage anything you will most likely run out of traction if it can't pull anymore, then you just lift it up and take smaller chunks, but like I said you should be ok for pulling snow.

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360
Well, that was awesome!! That little tractor pulled that 7ft plow through 4 inches of snow like it wasn't even there. I thought it might try to pull the tractor to the side, or maybe I would have needed to put the tractor in low gear before running out of traction, but I barely had it above idle and in high gear at top speed - never lost traction once. It made it around my circle and covered my tracks with a foot to spare. The whole driveway was done in 15 min. I didn't even have time to get cold. I will make sure to get some pictures next time.

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #5  
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #6  
Those BX tractors get underestimated by many but they surprise a lot of people. I'd love a bigger blade for snow. Definitely show us pics!

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #7  
I agree. The larger BB in snow the better. Just keep it angled to the max and you will be fine. If you find you need more traction, just lift the BB a bit and it will transfer weight to tires. Since I have a smaller back blade at 4 ft, I need more weight, so I hung all my chains I have onto the frame of back blade for weight and it works. I suspect at 7 ft you will have all the weight you need on the BX.

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #8  
or maybe I would have needed to put the tractor in low gear before running out of traction, but I barely had it above idle and in high gear at top speed - never lost traction once. It made it around my circle and covered my tracks with a foot to spare.

I don't have any snow plowing experience but there are several threads on TBN about losing braking and/or traction almost causing serious accidents. Using 4W and low helps avoid a lot of potential problems that may occur, especially in sloped or slippery conditions. You may not have time to shift into low or 4W if you have any slope at all.

Agree on the BX's doing more than people give them credit for.:thumbsup:

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #9  
Hope this isn't considered hijacking a thread but I have a 7' blade that I was going to use behind my L3410 for pushing/pulling snow. I started to change out the pins form CAT I to CAT II and noticed that the blade appears fixed. It as pins where I originally thought it could swivel but someone has welded angle iron to each side of the blade and it angles up to the front frame by the pins. Sure doesn't look like it will swivel. Will I be wasting my time using this for pushing/pulling snow?

/ 7ft blade on BX 2360 #10  
blackie65 said:
Hope this isn't considered hijacking a thread but I have a 7' blade that I was going to use behind my L3410 for pushing/pulling snow. I started to change out the pins form CAT I to CAT II and noticed that the blade appears fixed. It as pins where I originally thought it could swivel but someone has welded angle iron to each side of the blade and it angles up to the front frame by the pins. Sure doesn't look like it will swivel. Will I be wasting my time using this for pushing/pulling snow?

Is the blade already angled to push snow to the side? If so then you will probably be ok. My blade swivels but I never move it. It stays at the same angle and it is perfect for pushing/pulling snow and doing my driveway in the summer.