HST Fan Victim Today

/ HST Fan Victim Today #1  

connor77

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2660 with FEL
Had the misfortune today of cooking my HST fan compliments of a stick that made its way past my Kubota protective cover (upgraded part but not adequate).

Before I get to my questions I'll get a couple of things out of the way:

1. Yes, I should have been more careful
2. Yes, I will order the Bro-Tek skid plate

My questions are:

Is there a step by step procedure if I want to replace the fan completely and not glue something to what's left of my existing fan? In other words exactly what do I need to remove from my machine to get a new fan on (and new rubber boot too - this was mangled)

Saw that someone posted that if they ever had something damage their fan they would cut the shaft and have some machining done and then connect the now 2 pieces with a coupler of some sort. Has anyone actually done this and could share some details?

In terms of replacing the fan could someone provide an estimate in terms of how long it would take to take apart the tractor and put it back together assuming basic mechanical aptitude. Or is it just so risky/complicated that it should really go to a dealer ($$$) for repair? I am not a mechanic but I also don't like paying $90 hr for labor.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

/ HST Fan Victim Today #2  
I don't know about the BX2660, but the BX2200 wasn't to complicated to replace, just had t shove the engine forward on its rubber mounts to get the shaft out and back in. Just a suggestion, if you get a skid plate, make sure it comes well forward and up to close off any sticks coming in from the front. I have seen some skid plate pics posted here that still leaves a lot of room for sticks to knock the fan out again. The replacement was cheap, but I don't want to change another one. Might check out the link below.

Skidplate: Custom 1 - BXTractors.info: The Kubota BX Wiki

/ HST Fan Victim Today #3  
It's a REAL pain , but here's the Kubota Work Shop pages.
I've just fitted the Kubby plate yesterday , so I hope I
don't get your run of luck !

Attachments

• Kubota BX HST FAN replacement procedure.pdf
    515.9 KB · Views: 505
   / HST Fan Victim Today #4  
I'm curious, what is the purpose of this fan? Can only imagine it is to cool the hyd. oil or pump/motor ??

/ HST Fan Victim Today
Orange - thanks. And yes, I hope you have better luck than me. I also agree a heat sink would have been better. The replacement fan I got is a Kubota product and it's super thin. Much thinner blades than the original that I found scattered about.

Thanks again.

/ HST Fan Victim Today #7  
Possibility of an aluminium/steel substitute ( with a bit of cutting ? )
rather than that replacement plastic ? I'd visit an auto-wrecking
yard and have a look before proceeding with the Kubby one IMO.
There's plastic fatigue to consider over the hours too .

/ HST Fan Victim Today #8  
If you purchased the Kubota (KTAC) insurance, you will only have to pay the $250 deductable for the dealer to repair the fan.

/ HST Fan Victim Today #10  
Don't you just love an Insurance Policy that wants the owner
to pay half the labour :mad:

In this example of a repair, it may be half but if your engine or trans blows up, it's still a $250 deductable.:thumbsup: