Starting problem - electrical

/ Starting problem - electrical #1  

MEAKN

Tractor
Kubota L2500
I have trouble trying to start my L2500. Many times when I turn the key to start, it just clicks. Most of the time if I continue to turn the key it will hit one of the times and turn the engine over & it will start. I removed the starter, and completely went through it. On the bench it works perfectly, but back on the tractor I have to go through the clicking thing. I also replaced the positive cable, and bought a new ignition switch, which I haven't installed yet. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch.

/ Starting problem - electrical
By the way, I will also mention I have cleaned all of the terminals, installed a new battery, and done all of the normal things to solve this problem.

OK, I broke down and used the search function, and I'm going to get the J.D. relay KUBMECH suggests. Thanks.

/ Starting problem - electrical #4  
Were the contacts in the starter solenoid OK? I would take a volt meter and run one lead to the battery positive and the other to the starter main lug to be sure you don't have a significant voltage drop. What ever the volt meter reads is what voltage you are loosing. Sure sounds like a bad connection. You could try taking jumper cables and go direct from the battery ground to the starter case to eliminate a bad ground as the cause. If it works with the jumper cable you know you need to work on the grounding side.

Kim

Thanks Kim, but I'm pretty sure its going to have to be the J.D. relay solution followed by installing the new ignition switch.

/ Starting problem - electrical #7  
Might want to check ground wire also.

/ Starting problem - electrical #8  
K7LN: What I was meaning by using the jumper cable was to bypass the ground cable and its possible bad connection by going direct from the battery to the starter case.

I gather there is a separate starter relay (as apposed to the contacts built into the solenoid) on this tractor.

Kim

/ Starting problem - electrical #9  
MEAKN,
Do the JD Relay solution!
I did it on my 1980's L3750 after experiencing the same clicking problem.
Prior to the relay install, I did voltage measurements at the battery vs at the starter.
There was a voltage drop.
I opened the instrument panel and cleaned all the wire harness connectors that carried voltage from the battery to the starter.
I cleaned the battery and ground connections.
I replaced the fused link and battery.
After all this the voltage drop was reduced by 50%, and it worked great for six months. :(
Not wanting to go through this all again, I installed the relay.
I have not had a problem in two years. :)
Dave

/ Starting problem - electrical #10  
This is a common problem, not just JD; it takes a lot of current to activate the starter solenoid, as much as 30 amps. The wiring and switch contacts are not rated for such a large current. That is why a relay with larger cable is installed to handle the current.