Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860?

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860? #11  
It really does not make a difference in the FEL' or the size of the tractors, or front weight. All FEl's in the float mode when the load pushing gets of size the front end of the tractor is going to come up.

The only way to avoid it is at that point to come out of float and bring the Loader arms up gradually to bring the front end down.

I don't have snow, I clean the hog pens and the cattle feed lots and this is excatly what happens.

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860?
Ahh.. it's all becoming clearer to me now, especially with that lost episode from Peanuts. :) Thanks guys! I'll leave the BB on. Maybe try using it to push snow instead. :)

I normally use my ATV with a plow as I don't want to wear out my bucket. I just use it when for instance, I shovel snow off my 25x25 deck above my garage and throw the snow onto the driveway. (basically making a reason for me to fire up the BX). Or when the piles get too "long" and I want to shorten them and pile them up (again, just a good reason to fire up the BX).

A wear bar for my plow is $40. It lasts be 2-3 years. It doesn't look like the wear bar on the FEL is that easy to replace. :)

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860? #13  
i've got the 60" plow on my bx25 and tried using it with the backhoe attached and it just didn't seem to work well. the front felt too light. easy enough for you to try with the rear weight on-off and see for yourself.
steve
'

60'' does great on my bx 1500

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860? #14  
That "silly" drawing explained it better than a 1000 words. I think I understand it now. I knew it always did it, but I didnt really understand why. Thanks
James K0UA

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860? #15  
Thanks for the complements on my drawing skills guys. I knew that people here are fond of FINE ART. :drink:

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860? #16  
It really does not make a difference in the FEL' or the size of the tractors, or front weight. All FEl's in the float mode when the load pushing gets of size the front end of the tractor is going to come up.

The only way to avoid it is at that point to come out of float and bring the Loader arms up gradually to bring the front end down.

Blueriver statement and EasyGo's picture have it right. tractor size doesn't matter. When the loader is in float mode the loader weight is no longer exerting any down force on the front wheels of the tractor. Adding weights to the front wheels, hanging weights on the front of the tractor, or lifting the loader so it is just off the ground will help put traction back on the front wheels. Leave the rear weight on for traction at the rear as well.

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860? #17  
I asked this in another question because it came up, but I thought I'd make a new thread for it.

When moving snow with my FEL on my BX1860 I have my box blade on the rear for counterweight. But I notice on float on the FEL I have virtually no steering.

SHould I remove it for the winter when I'm moving snow around?

You "should' have some weight but I never use weight on my BX24 or my old BX22....I do not have room for the weight in my garage with cars...If you are smart, it is not needed.

/ Ballast or weight on rear when using FEL to move snow on BX1860? #18  
I used my BX1860 just last week to move snow off my gravel driveway. I tilted the front of the bucket down a little and just above the gravel. I was able to push the snow without any trouble and filling the bucket did not cause the tractor to feel front heavy. The snow was not real light and I ran using 4wd without chains. The bucket would push the snow into a pile and then I would use the FEL to pick it up and dump it next to the driveway. My driveway does not have any slope to it. I also did not use any weight in the tires or on the 3pt.