Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota BX25

Default Chains front and rear, or just rear?

I have a BX25 with 4 wheel drive, and a B2789 rear-mount blower with the FEL as set up for the winter, and I am wondering about chains for the winter. Should I put them on both the front and rear tires, or just the rear?

Tractor
    New Holland 3040 w/ cab and CVT

Default Re: Chains front and rear, or just rear?

If you can why not do all four? I did but I got the fronts free and had to buy the backs. Not sure of your terrain, but ours is hills and hills with turns, and drop offs. I wanted to have the best traction I can in these conditions.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 gear

I would not use chains on front because of strain put on 4x4 drive train. Just me, Aaron

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

I know more tractor owners rather run chains on rear,maybe because of more weight on rear which means better bite.

Try rear,if more bite needed than purchase set for front.

Tractor
    2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541

I have front chains only on my L35. I don't worry about the front drive being overstrained. It is an industrial machine. I'd be disappointed if it couldn't handle the occasional extra front drive tension.

Maybe if I owned something else I'd be concerned.. even so I do take care, I use 4WD only when needed snow or dry.. ice I use it all the time.

I've been plowing my parking lot at the auto repair shop for years with a beat up 4WD Jeep and later a beat up 4WD Nissan and I only put the chains on the front.. I find it works better for my uses at work (very little road use).. so when it came time to buy chains for the tractor I did the same.. traction is excellent and with 4WD turned off I don't have that rough ride when moving across safe travel areas.

I've read many of the opinions here and elsewhere about the dangers of using chains on the front..never-mind the front only... but so far I'm happy with the set up.

If the front differencial breaks and I have to pay for my defiance .. I'll pony up and decide if I need to change my ways... if that day ever comes.

Warning: this is my opinion and apparently no one else thinks like me, so consider the risks before following suit.
    .....Tim

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

why bother with chains?If you always clear snow when backing up, you will be fine. Only time I would put chains on if you have a icy gravel driveway. I would prefer to put on back since most of weight from blower you have is in rear. If you start to spin, just lift the 3 pt a little to gain traction. Its all the little things you can do to drive smoothly.

I have chains on the rears only. I use a rear blade and FEL for snow removal. The chains made a huge difference in wet snow and/or icy conditions which we get a lot of later in the winter. I always ran out of traction before I ran out of power but that doesn't happen with the chains anymore.
    Kubota L3200 w/ LA524 FEL
    Landpride RCR 1860 rotary cutter
    Landpride RB1684 rear blade w/ hydraulic angle
    Woods GB60 boxblade
    John Deere X500
    Kubota B7610 w/LA352 FEL (sold)
    Husqvarna 562XP
    Husqvarna 371XP
    Husqvarna 346XP
    6 x 10 Dump Trailer
    22 ton Speeco Logsplitter
    2 Great Danes
    Vive l'acadie!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

If you install them on the front you may run into an issue of clearance for the tires and chains on tight turns, some of the folks flip the fronts to allow the clearance to occur.

I always worry about the front ends and and overloading the drive train.

You would be better off having the rear tires loaded with wind shieldwasher fluid and buying a good set of chains for it from www.tirechains.com with binders

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5000DT

Quote Originally Posted by leonz View Post
    I always worry about the front ends and and overloading the drive train.
    The issue of chains on the front is brought up here year after year. Yet, I've never seen a post where someone damaged their front axle/drive train because of chains on the front. I've been plowing snow for over 30 years with chains on all four wheels and have never had a problem. Most of my farmer friends put chains on all fours, too, and I've never heard of any of them have a problem.

Is there anyone on TractorByNet who has damaged their front drive train by putting chains on front? I've asked this question before and never got a response.....
    Kubota MX5000DT

Tractor
    2009 Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoTractor View Post
    The issue of chains on the front is brought up here year after year. Yet, I've never seen a post where someone damaged their front axle/drive train because of chains on the front. I've been plowing snow for over 30 years with chains on all four wheels and have never had a problem. Most of my farmer friends put chains on all fours, too, and I've never heard of any of them have a problem.

Is there anyone on TractorByNet who has damaged their front drive train by putting chains on front? I've asked this question before and never got a response.....
    OK, so I think I can assume that overload is a non-issue. But are rear chains enough?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast