Mowing Removing spring tension on mower deck

/ Removing spring tension on mower deck #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
any tips for getting the spring off the mower deck for winter storage? I want to remove the tension to save the belt. I can pry it off, but want to ensure I don't hurt myself!! or scratch the heck out of the deck.

nhman

/ Removing spring tension on mower deck #2  
I am about to do the same thing as soon as I find a spring puller. I am going to check Home Depot and NAPA. It is a tool with a hook and usually a T-handle to hold on to. That spring has a lot of tension and as you said I don't want to be on the receiving end. I know someone who got hurt pulling a large spring off with channel locks. I would get a spring puller for the job.

/ Removing spring tension on mower deck #3  
I use a auto drum brake spring removal tool,it works very well and is sold in auto parts stores.

/ Removing spring tension on mower deck #4  
Gee guys, I just turn one of the blade pulleys while pulling the belt off the pulley, letting it walk itself off. It only takes a minute and I dont have any problems at all, and no tools to make/buy. Goes on just as easy....

/ Removing spring tension on mower deck #5  
Just did mine yesterday, I just use a pr. of ViseGrips and grab the spring at one end and pull! Do the same thing when I put the spring back on at the start of the season. Works like a charm, and I already own the right tool!

/ Removing spring tension on mower deck #6  
I attach a 4' piece of chain (like you tie the dog out with) and hook it over the end of the spring end on the idler pulley. Then I use a screwdriver thru the chain (to form like a t-handle) to pull the spring. This takes tension off the belt and have an assistant remove the belt from the pulley whilst I hold the chain. Then I can slowly release the chain and the idler pulley. Reverse the procedure in the spring.