3 pt. lift arm question

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #1  

HJT

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 BX2350
I push snow backwards with the rear blade. Will it hurt the lift arms when the blade self lifts up on the snow pile? I pull forward slow so the blade don't just drop down hard. I assumed it would only go as high as internals would let it and stop. Sometimes I hit the lift lever when blade is high on pile and when hydraulics get so high, blade goes to max lift. Then pull forward and let it down. Done this for last couple years and don't seem to hurt. Just wanted others opinion. PSD350

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #2  
Not a bad idea to not let it drop to the ground any more than six inches or so, prolly won't actually hurt anything even if you do.

The hydraulics in the lift, only "lift" they do not provide any down pressure, it is all gravity..... so the answer to your question is: nope.

However, backing into a pile of hardened snow with a back blade can put quite a shock on the lower links and mount points, if the snow does not "give" or the blade does not "ride up".

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #3  
I think there is an adjustment on your tractor that allows you to set drop speed for various implement weights. On my BX1500 it is a knob just in front of the seat next to the mower set height knob. Clockwise to slow drop.
larry

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #4  
I haven't had any trouble with the two BX models I have used to push just about everything.

Last edited:
   / 3 pt. lift arm question #5  
I think there is an adjustment on your tractor that allows you to set drop speed for various implement weights. On my BX1500 it is a knob just in front of the seat next to the mower set height knob. Clockwise to slow drop.
larry

That lift drop control valve only effects drop speed when the lift cylinder is going from out to in....... in his example, where the implement is being lifted by external forces, the lift cylinder piston is already retracted and the implement will just drop to the ground once the outside forces are relieved.

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #6  
If you hit something other than snow, you can bent the lower arms since they are not really designed for pushing...

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #7  
It happens now and than,but w/cold weather and hard drops even at angle might be hard on casting in time.

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #8  
I push snow backwards with the rear blade. Will it hurt the lift arms when the blade self lifts up on the snow pile? I pull forward slow so the blade don't just drop down hard. I assumed it would only go as high as internals would let it and stop. Sometimes I hit the lift lever when blade is high on pile and when hydraulics get so high, blade goes to max lift. Then pull forward and let it down. Done this for last couple years and don't seem to hurt. Just wanted others opinion. PSD350

I would worry less about the arms and more about where they attach to.
Most likely this is the rear axle, or some lugs/tabs on it.
If you bust those off you'll be a lot more sorry than if you bend a lift arm.

At least in THEORY you may know where all solid obstructions are.
In practice swirling snow may cause you to hit something quite solid that you thought was a couple of feet to one side or the other.
Snow banks DO set quite hard too, just packing them will do it, thaw/freeze cycles will set them even harder.

/ 3 pt. lift arm question #9  
That lift drop control valve only effects drop speed when the lift cylinder is going from out to in....... in his example, where the implement is being lifted by external forces, the lift cylinder piston is already retracted and the implement will just drop to the ground once the outside forces are relieved.
Good point.:thumbsup:
larry