Chains Tire size and chains

/ Tire size and chains #1  

2006RonB

Tractor
2006 Kubota 5030
Hello all, I own a 2006 5030 with the R4 industrial tires. Dealer is going to order new R1 tires and wheels for me. I need more traction all year, and in snow, ice I need chains on the rear. (Previously owned Ford 2000 with rear chains). Will the 13.6x28 size leave enough clearance between the underside of top of fender and tire for chains? I know there will be adequate clearance on the side of the tire and fender. Thanks! RonB

/ Tire size and chains #2  
I believe you want to be on the FORD forum. You are in the Kubota section.

/ Tire size and chains #3  
I think he has a Kubota L5030.

2006RonB: If you're going to put R1's on, you should be fine. R4's can limit your chain selection sometimes.

The R-1's should be adjustable for width too.

/ Tire size and chains
Added a signature so there is no confusion.

/ Tire size and chains
I know the R1 13.6x28 would be narrow enough tire for the chains to clear on the side. I asked the dealer the same question (if the chains would clear between the top of the tire and the fender). He said the R1 13.6x28 was one of the options on the 5030 and he thought they would, especially if I dished the wheels wider. I hope I don't have to dish so wide that there is no tire left under the fender. He said Kubota no longer had specs on that model available to him to give me a firm answer. But to his credit, he said he would take them back if it didn't work out for me. Then I would move down to the R1 14.9x26. I am just trying to get it right the first time to save shipping new tire chains across the country multiple times--that gets expensive.

/ Tire size and chains #6  
Hello all, I own a 2006 5030 with the R4 industrial tires. Dealer is going to order new R1 tires and wheels for me. I need more traction all year, and in snow, ice I need chains on the rear. (Previously owned Ford 2000 with rear chains). Will the 13.6x28 size leave enough clearance between the underside of top of fender and tire for chains? I know there will be adequate clearance on the side of the tire and fender. Thanks! RonB

I would be very careful with buying chains. I used one of those chain websites sent my tire size, tractor model etc., and the chains that arrived did not fit, not even close. Shipping those heavy things back cost almost as much as the chains, so i have useless chains sitting around. I would go to the dealer (and pay the premium price) and order them from him so if they don't fit you take them back.

/ Tire size and chains
I hear you Monte. Sounds like you had a bad experience buying online. I will be ordering my second set of chains from tirechains.com. They are knowledgeable and helpful--good customer service. That reminds me, I need to get my old chains listed locally here on craiglist--I sold the Ford tractor that they fit.

/ Tire size and chains #8  
The problem I see with these tire chain on-line companies is they have a "one size fits most tires" and are often sending people chains that are much larger than needed. The many posts on TBN of members showing their oversize chains that need a lot of tightening is the proof of that belief. And the chain companies offer the tighteners just to capture more buyers. :)
I'd suggest getting your tire circumference where you want the chains to ride, and a measurement on the length of cross chain then order that size chain (knowing what the side chain and cross chain lengths are for the chain being ordered).
I don't blame the tire chain companies for not having a tire chain that fits every size tire out there, just to keep their inventory down to a low roar. But the buyer should be able to find out just what the chain dimensions are ahead of time. :)

/ Tire size and chains
Good advice BeenThere. Not so sure tirechains.com does the one chain fits all tactic. Pretty much individualized for tire size. The duo-grip chains I purchased last would fit 2 diameter wheels, either 24" or 26". It wasn't much trouble to wire the circumference chain back to itself for the correct 24" size. I could have cut it off, but chose to keep it (they had also supplied an extra set of cross chains) in case I upsized to a larger wheel diameter. This was on my 1968 Ford--not to confuse anyone on my original post about my Kubota.

/ Tire size and chains #10  
I pulled the first two pics from Tractorhouse.

Although I don't know if they are the taller of the two available tires for the 5030, it looks to me like there is room for chains as long as you don't leave too much slack in them. I have double-ring chains on my tractor, and I have about the same clearance between my fenders & the tops of the tires (R-1's). Hope these help..

Attachments

• 5030 R-1.jpg
    5030 R-1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 5030 R-1 (2).jpg
    5030 R-1 (2).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 537