Wheel stuck on hub

/ Wheel stuck on hub #1  

PointyHairedBoss

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21 TLB, Kubota B2920
I'm doing some work on a 2004 B21TLB (my first tractor). I just put new tires on the front wheels. It was a bit of a job getting the wheels off the hubs - a little bit of gentle & not so gentle tapping finally did the job. When I put them back on, is there something I should do to the mating surfaces to prevent a recurrance of this freeze up in the future - grease or something else?

/ Wheel stuck on hub #2  
I'm doing some work on a 2004 B21TLB (my first tractor). I just put new tires on the front wheels. It was a bit of a job getting the wheels off the hubs - a little bit of gentle & not so gentle tapping finally did the job. When I put them back on, is there something I should do to the mating surfaces to prevent a recurrance of this freeze up in the future - grease or something else?

Just put new front rotors on a '98 Cadillac. Even though the wheels came right off in this case, I've had times where that didn't happen.
Now, I apply a coat of Never Seize (actually the NAPA equivalent) to the surface where the rotor and back of the wheel meet.

/ Wheel stuck on hub
... Never Seize ...

I just looked up this product on the internet. It looks a lot like a good pipe dope. I have a can of Masters Pro-Dope (paste type dope with teflon) which I use for threaded piping & I've never had a pipe joint seize when using this product.
Think I could use this instead?

/ Wheel stuck on hub #4  
you could try, but I wouldnt. It has the word sealant on the can doesnt it ?You are not trying to seal anything, but rather need a metalic type of never seize. It's not expensive and one can will last you a long time. I apply it regularly on my vehicles everytime I change the tire, do brake work, etc.

/ Wheel stuck on hub #5  
Any grease or sticky oil (bar & chain oil) will help. The key is to impede rust that makes the surfaces grow and get jammed. There isn't enough clearance for something like paint - which might make it even harder to take apart.

/ Wheel stuck on hub #6  
I just looked up this product on the internet. It looks a lot like a good pipe dope. I have a can of Masters Pro-Dope (paste type dope with teflon) which I use for threaded piping & I've never had a pipe joint seize when using this product.
Think I could use this instead?

I just looked them up also. Never realized they had so many products. I'm no chemist but teflon probably would help in this situation.

It's not expensive and one can will last you a long time. I apply it regularly on my vehicles everytime I change the tire, do brake work, etc.
True enough. I've got a 6 or 8 ounce bottle that's I've had for probably almost 10 years and there's still about half a bottle left. It doesn't have to be applied heavily.

/ Wheel stuck on hub #7  

About your rims;

The need for cleanliness cannot be over emphasized here;

you need good emery paper in the roll to do this properly,

starting wil 120 grit and then a finer grit.

You will clog the paper quickly so get rid of it and continue

with new paper.

If you have a John Deere dealer that carries www.fluid-film.com that is the
best thing you can use for the mating surfaces as it penetrates
and prevents rust from forming.

As long as you have gone this far you should remove the rears and treat the hub and rim with the emery paper and fluid film.

You can look for a fluid film dealer through thier web page if no one carries it locally and have it mail ordered to you quickly.

Be sure to clean the hub threads and the lug nuts with the fluid film as well. The purchase of a wheel stud thread chaser and tap set is warranted here for your use and it will not be a wasted purchase.

There all fixed noiw sorry about that :^)

Last edited:
   / Wheel stuck on hub #8  
I use the never seize on all rims. It's much better than grease or oil as it doesn't wash off. I also use it on lug nuts. But beware if not careful it will get on everything. It's not super hard to remove but can get messy real quick.

Pipe dope is not the same thing, not even close.

/ Wheel stuck on hub #9  
   / Wheel stuck on hub #10  
Ok a dumb question here but wouldnt putting something like that on a rim have a greater chance in popping the tire off during normal operation. Seems to me it would be better to have the tire mounted on the rim with nothing at all except a good cleaning. I may be wrong JMO i have never used anything when mounting a tubless tire because i dont want my seal to beak. Im not dismissing the stuff just not fimilar with it, and would like to hear more.
Interesting topic.:thumbsup: