Snow Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610

/ Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610 #1  

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
Hi,
Been getting a lot of lake-effect snow and cold wind here lately. Keeping up requires about two hours of plowing daily. To limit my exposure to the elements, I've been pushing snow in high range with my B7610. I'm wondering if this has caused problems for anyone or if I'm setting myself up for a repair bill.

Previously, I'd always plowed snow in Low range. This year, that was taking just too much time. Not only that but I'm working at the edge of a busy state highway and welcome the quick response when it comes to getting out of the way of traffic.

The tractor seems to handle it OK and the tranny fluid gets only slightly warm. Still, the ever-present hydrostat whine seems louder and coarser than when operating in Low.

Mostly I'm plowing only 6 to 8 inches of light powder. The bulk of the work is done by a 5' Woods backblade pushing while backing using the convex side of the blade (gravel driveways). I normally go to low range when working the heavy stuff left by the road plows or when stacking snow with the FEL.

Thanks,
Bob

/ Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610 #2  
Well if it is working just fine, I think you have your answer. Hydro Whine was the subtitle for the book "My life with Hydro Trannys" IIRC :)

...But I have to call BS on Lake Effect Snow being "light powder". I grew up in WNY. It ain't light by any stretch of the imagination.

/ Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610 #3  
I wouldn't let tranny get to warm,and engine will tell you to pick another range by bogging down.

I don't use high range for that means more speed and better chance WHAM stress on fel or 3pt hitch..your condition may vary.

/ Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610
Know what you mean on the "Wham" factor, Thomas. The areas I clear don't have many obstructions and I make a point of going slow when I'm near them. But the rest of the time I'm moving pretty good. The tractor does grunt some when I hit the snow piles at the end of the push, but that's the signal to reverse direction.

So far this season, the lake effect snow has been light powder, dstig, just lots of it. I think that's due to the unusually low temperatures (low to mid teens) and high winds. We've been getting 4-7 inches daily. My rear blade is pretty effective with that amount, so I clear it before it builds further or starts to pack. Normally, you're right; lake effect is usually wet and heavy.

We visit the lake in the summer, it visits us for the holidays....whatchagonnado?
Bob

/ Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610 #5  
Bob Y.
I say little prayer asking snow god put freeze on lakes,by the sounds you need rest.."4-7 inches dailey"

/ Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610 #6  
I am only plowing with a BX 24 and front blade, but I always use the high range. The speed helps to roll the snow over instead of just pushing it and the momemtum helps as it is a slight up hill. I also slow down in area where the "wham factor" may be present.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ Plowing snow in High Range?-B7610 #7  
I plow with a BX2360, use high for the most part. Also use the rear blade for clean up in high. It seems to handle it just fine. Not quite sure how the BX23 would compare to your unit. John