Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3240

Default dirt and gravel moving

My tractor cmae with a tooth bar. Should I remove it to move dirt and gravel? My barn/tractor shed/workshop is done. They set the power pole Monday, it passed elect insp Tuesday and I met with the power folks on Wednesday. Hopefully, the underground will be run this coming week or next. I parked the tractor in the barn for the first time Friday. Had to wait for the concrete to cure and get some gravel up to the edge of the concrete.
    I don't have a box blade yet, maybe Santa will help with that. Thanks for any advice. It could not get much better.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Default Re: dirt and gravel moving

If I had a tooth bar I would put it on for moving dirt and gravel.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

If you are digging into the undisturbed ground, you need teeth, if you are loading from or spreading a pile of loose material, you shouldn't need the teeth, probably don't want them. If you use the rippers on a box blade, a plow or a tiller to tear up the ground first, you could dig some without a toothed bucket. If you need to remove a few inches of topsoil over a fair sized area it may be easier to keep the depth uniform by plowing or tilling then removing the soil layer without using the teeth. Unless loading with a track loader, or large wheel loader, I'd tear the ground up before digging in, any time it is possible.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by tmxj View Post
    If you are digging into the undisturbed ground, you need teeth, if you are loading from or spreading a pile of loose material, you shouldn't need the teeth, probably don't want them. If you use the rippers on a box blade, a plow or a tiller to tear up the ground first, you could dig some without a toothed bucket. If you need to remove a few inches of topsoil over a fair sized area it may be easier to keep the depth uniform by plowing or tilling then removing the soil layer without using the teeth. Unless loading with a track loader, or large wheel loader, I'd tear the ground up before digging in, any time it is possible.
    All of this mentioned above would be easier just using a tooth bar.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Yes, it might be easier. Probably depends on the soil type. Spreading a new topsoil or gravel pile, if you grade with the heel of the bucket, or with the bucket level, the tooth bar shouldn't be a problem. I have seen several TLB loader buckets with a cutting edge welded (horizontal) on the heel for grading or backdragging.

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

The only time I would remove a tooth bar would be if I was trying to get a real smooth surface (backdragging), or for removing snow.