B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix

/ B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix #1  

nvr-enuf

Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I have a hydraulic leak coming from my rear driver side axle. Does anyone have any suggestion on how hard it will be to fix? It is not pouring out, leaves a puddle over time.

thanks
SAS

/ B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix #2  
OK, I'm no expert here but looking in the B21 service manual, it's looking to me like the tractor has to be cracked. The FEL comes off, the FOPS comes off, 3 point hitch comes off, the fenders come off, rear wheel comes off, the main frame comes off, then the rear axle case comes off. Then you disassemble the axle case to tap out the axle. Its probably transmission fluid you are leaking.

To replace the bearing which I assume is associated with the seal that is leaking, it looks like that is what you have to do. Bear in mind, there are folks on this forum who know much more than I do about such things and no doubt they'll chime in.

Last edited:
   / B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix #3  
UGH!!!!

I smell a bad set of roller bearings too; I wonder if his wheel rims have developed a case of the hoppsies which would also create forces against the seals and then the bearings?

/ B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix
what do you mean by a bad case of the hoppsies?

/ B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix #5  
what do you mean by a bad case of the hoppsies?

If the wheel rims are the type that are the formed steel wheels that are bent and formed and then welded the steel in the center is weak and flexes. The wheels then begin to deform.

I cannot tell if this tractor has the cast rims from the picture if that is the tractor.

The tractor has steel rims, looked to be stamped / deep drawn.

I can say that this side of the tractor had cracked a rim about 2 years ago. Maybe this clue will be able to help someone explain what my problem is an how severe $$$$$$$ :mad:

/ B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix #7  
I have a hydraulic leak coming from my rear driver side axle. Does anyone have any suggestion on how hard it will be to fix? It is not pouring out, leaves a puddle over time.

Unlike most other CUTs, you have rather cumbersome FOPS and mainframe
to deal with, but you don't have to split the tractor. You do need a
good way to lift things to get the FOPS and loader off.

That said, when you pull the rear axle housing, you may want to replace
the lower FOPS bolts as they can get quite corroded.

/ B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix #8  
The tractor has steel rims, looked to be stamped / deep drawn.

I can say that this side of the tractor had cracked a rim about 2 years ago. Maybe this clue will be able to help someone explain what my problem is an how severe $$$$$$$ :mad:

UGH, OUCH, yowie;

Are the tires loaded? if not they will want to move more for sure.

I would see about new single cast rims from Goodyear or Firestone
or mounting wide turf tires with the diamond or square tread with wide rims or loaded narrow duals as I smell a severe case of the hoppsies which in turn damaged the bearing and the seal.

The wide turfs give you the advantage of lower ground pressure per square inch and less stress transmitted to the axle.

I would use some alcohol to clean under the stub housing near the base of the casting and pumpkin to see if you have any hairline cracks from the casting center outward.

Typically the cracks start at the stub ends where the wheel is mounted as this is the weakest point unless the hub end has gussets welded to it.

I also second Mr. Krugs suggestion about the FOP bolts be sure to replace them with the same type and nylock nuts and washers and a bit of blue Loctite in the FINE threads of the bolt- I hope they used fine threaded bolts as they are stronger and have more surface area to grip.

Thanks - I think I will deal with the leak until spring since I use the tractor to blow snow.

May I ask why the FEL needs to come off if my leak is on the rear differential?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

/ B21 - Rear leak at axle, how to fix #10  
May I ask why the FEL needs to come off if my leak is on the rear differential?

The B21 has a "mainframe" that connects to nearly everything. It has
to come off in order to get the rear axle castings off. The FEL is
mounted to the mainframe.

The B21 is a great design, but it requires more work than other tractors
of this size, due to the mainframe.

Attachments

• e_mainframe.jpg
    e_mainframe.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 666