B9200 Maintenance Questions

/ B9200 Maintenance Questions #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Just got a B9200. Read over the owners manual & have the following questions:

Oil change:
The manual recommends various oils dependent on temperatures. In each temperature range, they allow the use of a 10W-30. Would a 15W-40 diesel grade oil be OK to use?

Coolant:
The manual mentions that a 50/50 anti-freeze/water solution should be used. Any particular type of anti-freeze? Also, they mention the use of Kubota scale inhibitor #20. What is this? Also, the manual mentions changing the scale inhiitor & coolant every two or three months. Am I misunderstanding something here, every three months???

Fuel Filter:
The manual says to clean out fuel filter every 100 hours & change fuel filter every 400 hours. Is changing out the filter every 400 hours frequent enough?

/ B9200 Maintenance Questions #2  
The weight of the engine oil depends on your climate. I don't run anything but Chevron Delo 15/40 here in sunny California. In colder climates 10/30 might still be too thick.

The 50/50 coolant mix would be with any type of anti-freeze you want. I have never used the scale inhibitor in Kubotas, in the older Ford and New Hollands if you didn't you would be asking for trouble. Two to three month coolant change intervals would be excessive, 2 to 3 years should be sufficient, as long as you keep an eye on the condition.

I change fuel filters every engine oil change.

Brian

/ B9200 Maintenance Questions #3  
I use synthetic because we're in a cold climate, every little bit helps starting. I think I use 0-30, can't remember for sure, make sure you use an oil made for diesels, the API rating is different.

There are antifreezes made for diesel engines, not sure what the difference is but that's what I bought when I changed mine. Never heard of scale inhibitor, seems impractical to change it every 3 months.

I cleaned the fuel filter at 100 hours, it was so clean I couldn't tell it wasn't new. I use one of those funnels (I think it's called Mr Funnel) that has a water and contaminant catcher built in. Every once in awhile some big oogie comes out of the 5 gal can, not sure how it gets in there but I'm glad it ends up in the funnel and doesn't end up in my tank. I've never had ice in the fuel, and mine sits outside in a tent, so other than the daytime heat from the sun, it doesn't see any heat.

/ B9200 Maintenance Questions #4  
I'm in Calif. Mild temps. I use Delo 15-40 in my old B8200.

I changed ALL the filters and fluids, except hydro, yearly. They are inexpensive. And, at least for the motor, it helps keep down the buildup of acids and goop in the oil. I do not get enough hours in a year to get to the hours the book lists.

The fuel filter is cheap. Depending on your source for fuel, it may need change more frequently. An inexpensive filter is a little peace of mind.

Just got a B9200. Read over the owners manual & have the following questions:

Oil change:
The manual recommends various oils dependent on temperatures. In each temperature range, they allow the use of a 10W-30. Would a 15W-40 diesel grade oil be OK to use?

Coolant:
The manual mentions that a 50/50 anti-freeze/water solution should be used. Any particular type of anti-freeze? Also, they mention the use of Kubota scale inhibitor #20. What is this? Also, the manual mentions changing the scale inhiitor & coolant every two or three months. Am I misunderstanding something here, every three months???

Fuel Filter:
The manual says to clean out fuel filter every 100 hours & change fuel filter every 400 hours. Is changing out the filter every 400 hours frequent enough?