Differential Lock Operation

/ Differential Lock Operation #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Is it OK to push down on the differential lock pedal when the wheels are spinning, or, should they be at a full stop before engaging the differential lock. If it makes a difference, my tractor is a geared (non-HST) B9200.

/ Differential Lock Operation #2  
Its safer to stop go to neutral and simply push it in place
while the clutch is pushed in as you will risk doing a bit
of damage if the wheels are spinning.:thumbsup:

/ Differential Lock Operation #3  
Its safer to stop go to neutral and simply push it in place
while the clutch is pushed in as you will risk doing a bit
of damage if the wheels are spinning.:thumbsup:

Uh, how can you do this on an HST tractor where the diff lock is on the left? The manual for the L4240 says only to not step on the lock when one wheel is spinning and the other has stopped.

I think the normal use is to step on it when the rear tires start to slip. Release once you've regained enough traction to go without it, since it will interfere with steering. I rarely have it actuated for more than 6 feet. Just move your foot off it to release.

/ Differential Lock Operation #4  
Uh, how can you do this on an HST tractor where the diff lock is on the left? The manual for the L4240 says only to not step on the lock when one wheel is spinning and the other has stopped.

I think the normal use is to step on it when the rear tires start to slip. Release once you've regained enough traction to go without it, since it will interfere with steering. I rarely have it actuated for more than 6 feet. Just move your foot off it to release.

On all my geared tractors the lock seems to stay engaged while there is torque on the axle - even when the pedal is released. After a few feet there is a "clunk" as the lock releases.

My technique is to back off on the throttle and stomp on the lever. There has never been any grinding or gear engagement sounds. It seems to work almost like a syncro transmission. Maybe it is.

At any rate, follow the advice in the manual.

/ Differential Lock Operation #5  
I wouldn't engage while one wheel was spinning. I do engage while moving slowly as it often won't engage sitting still.

/ Differential Lock Operation #6  
It is a manual lock, no syncro's or anyhting. Make sure the wheels are spinning at near the same speed or you are stopped. If you are stuck in mud and have one wheel going full bore and the other is completely stopped and try it, it will sond like trying to throw your car in park when going 20.

/ Differential Lock Operation #7  
I wouldn't engage while one wheel was spinning. I do engage while moving slowly as it often won't engage sitting still.

X2

E/S