'Double' vs. 'Single' Clutch

/ 'Double' vs. 'Single' Clutch #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Do all live PTO tractors use a 'double' clutch? I have a B9200 which I believe has a live PTO. I have not confirmed as it only has a FEL on it now. Does this tractor have a 'double' clutch? I assume that a 'double' clutch is more expensive to replace.

/ 'Double' vs. 'Single' Clutch #2  
Do all live PTO tractors use a 'double' clutch? I have a B9200 which I believe has a live PTO. I have not confirmed as it only has a FEL on it now. Does this tractor have a 'double' clutch? I assume that a 'double' clutch is more expensive to replace.

A two-stage clutch allows the PTO to engage and turn the output shaft before the wheels move. The first half of the clutch pedal travel is dedicated to the PTO clutch, the last half operates the wheel drive clutch.

You can check to see if the 9200 has a two-stage clutch by watching the engaged PTO stub shaft as you let the clutch pedal out. If it begins to turn well before the tractor itself moves, you have a two-stage clutch.

Sean

/ 'Double' vs. 'Single' Clutch #3  
Does this tractor have a 'double' clutch? I assume that a 'double' clutch is more expensive to replace.

No, if your tractor is a hydrostat it will have a single clutch. Double clutches are only significantly more expensive if you have the whole assy replaced rather than being rebuilt. And only slightly more expensive if both discs and pressure plates need to be replaced. There is almost never a reason to replace the housings.

Brian

/ 'Double' vs. 'Single' Clutch #4  
I looked at some other posts and see that this is gear tractor. I'm trying to remember back 20 years. I want to say that the double clutch was an option, I knew for sure the single clutches came with hydrostats. Most Kubota dual clutch tractors I have worked on had some kind of stop lever that you could flip down so you could push the clutch pedal down without pushing down too far and disengaging the PTO clutch. You can also tell by there being 2 distinct tension points in the clutch pedal travel and you overcome each of the belleville springs on the pressure plates. I think I have only ever had one B-series with a dual clutch apart, we sold primarily hydrostats.

Brian

/ 'Double' vs. 'Single' Clutch #5  
Chilly807 is spot on with his description.

I had a L3650 DT-7 for thirty years that had a dual stage clutch. In certain situations it was very useful.

An example is when rototilling. You can let out the clutch halfway to start the rototiller tines turning and then let it out all the way to start the pass. Bush Hogging and flail mowing had a similar advantage.

When using a chipper the clutch could be slipped to engage the chipper drive (while the tractor was is neutral).

Using the chipper on my BX with HST you have to rev it up, slam it into PTO, and hope it doesn't stall. Some say the PTO engage lever can act like a clutch and feather it in but I haven't been able to master the technique.

/ 'Double' vs. 'Single' Clutch #6  
Chilly807 is spot on with his description.

I had a L3650 DT-7 for thirty years that had a dual stage clutch. In certain situations it was very useful.

An example is when rototilling. You can let out the clutch halfway to start the rototiller tines turning and then let it out all the way to start the pass. Bush Hogging and flail mowing had a similar advantage.

When using a chipper the clutch could be slipped to engage the chipper drive (while the tractor was is neutral).

Using the chipper on my BX with HST you have to rev it up, slam it into PTO, and hope it doesn't stall. Some say the PTO engage lever can act like a clutch and feather it in but I haven't been able to master the technique.

I also found it harder to do on my BX2200, but pretty easy on my BX2660; don't know what the difference is, but it is significantly easier and smoother engagement.