ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ???

/ ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ??? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I presently use my ATV with a 60 inch manual swivel Moose snow plow for most of my 300 ft driveway winter maintenance , and then the odd time push back the banks with the FEL on my BX2660 tractor and maybe back scrape a few sidewalk sections. The ATV is quick but it is cold out there. SO last night I was looking at the plow and possibility of attaching it to the back of the BX tractor while maintaining the plow so that I can still attach it to the ATV if I want at a later time .( so attachable to both machines when need be) So I don't want to cut the frame and mount it to the FEL or bucket like others have done here.
ATV plows come with a roughly 5 ft long frame made of 2 pieces of 1 inch square stock that slides under a ATV and with ears welded on the end of the frame that slide into ears already mounted under the ATV , with two half inch pins to let it swivel up and down. Of course the other end of plow closer to the plow blade has a place for the ATV winch to move plow up and down.
Of course the plow section itself also swivels at that same mount plate to plow right or left or flat.

Now on the BX tractor I see where there is a nice mount plate at the lower rear with a hole for a trailer hitch . But I think I could weld up a small 8 inch plate to bolt on there with similar ears for the half inch pins to fit the ears like it does under the ATV. Then that frame would be underneath my Kubota weight box , and plow would face back wards with room still for it to swivel.
Then to lift it up or down I think I could use something at the back of the weight box ( short chain and clip maybe) to attach to the exisiting lift point on the plow , and use the threepoint hitch to lift the weightbox up and down, thus lift the plow up and down.

Now my question is do people here see any major flaws to my preliminary thinking? I have a homemade cab on the tractor and so I am out of the wind and it does not seem that hard to drive backwards looking out the back. I suspect if I have it in rabbit instead of turtle speed when snow is light I could be fairly fast. I like that I would still have FEL free to do forward work (EG windrows of snow , back scraping, and pushing banks. I think if I adjust the shoes on the plow I could prevent it digging in if my mounting angles are different than on ATV, and plow already has those double springs that kick the plow flat if I hit something hard.

What thinks you all , I do prefer the seat time on the tractor versus the ATV.

/ ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ??? #2  
I dont see anything wrong that that. I father took a fisher plow off his old truck and mounted on back on his MF 1250 using 3 pt as well. he doesnt angle it and doesnt need to. He used his bush hog A frame for mounting for top link during winter and summer time he puts it back.
I think its doable for what you want to do. FYI- if you take the bolts out of the lower hitch to mount your new plate adapter, put small bar clamps on the sides as they tend to bend out. I found out the hard way and was able to slip bolts back in. I think if you welded a slip hook on weight box at right height would make installation a breeze.

/ ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ??? #3  
to me I think that would work out fine. though that will be alot of looking backwards for plowing but at least your in the cab VS out side on the quad. and if you don't like you can still put the blade on the quad and go that route.

for your plate on the draw bar can you box that so the plate can't rotate left/right it slide over the drawbar and then pinned on. or you will want to drill 2 holes to bolt it down to the draw bar.

using the 3point lift for up down sounds good.

just my thoughts.

/ ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ??? #4  
for your plate on the draw bar can you box that so the plate can't rotate left/right it slide over the drawbar and then pinned on. or you will want to drill 2 holes to bolt it down to the draw bar.

Have you seen the BX hitch plate? Its not a standard drawbar most people are thinking of. Its a rectangle plate with 4 bolts holding it down to subframe and one pin hole.

/ ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ???
Well Radioman and others.............I completed the fabrication of a plate and ears to install my ATV plow without changing the ATV plow (so I can still use it for ATV if need be)
I tried it for first time yesterday see pics. I was quite pleased and the driving backwards is not that bad , but advantage of having FEL available to use is great.
There was also an ulterior motive in that my right hand is recovering from nerve surgery so the use of an ATV was bothersome due to vibration. Now I can drive the Kubota one handed (with steering knob) and right hand is just needed when I use FEL .

Attachments

• DSCN1061.jpg
    DSCN1061.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 2,222
  • DSCN1062.JPG
    DSCN1062.JPG
    934.7 KB · Views: 1,132
  • DSCN1064.jpg
    DSCN1064.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 3,692
   / ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ??? #6  
nice! At least you able to make it useful. Just becareful with all that extra weight on the plow from weight box and going to a snow berm or simalar.

/ ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ???
I made sure that weight box clearance is maintained and never rests on the plow arms , it is only used to lift the plow. (So plow operates the same as if on ATV , weight of plow is all that applies)

thanks

/ ATV Snowplow on back of BX tractor ??? #8  
I made sure that weight box clearance is maintained and never rests on the plow arms , it is only used to lift the plow. (So plow operates the same as if on ATV , weight of plow is all that applies)

thanks

awesome!! :thumbsup: