BXpanded snow plow?

/ BXpanded snow plow? #21  
None.

The blade is able to float w/o the loader in the float position, so the tractor doesn't lift its front wheels.

Gravel. No problems with tearing things up. There are a few spots on the drive that were much higher than the surrounding area that I hadn't taken care of this summer.... well they have been leveled now.

I don't consider that tearing up as I really DID want them leveled out.

To preven tearing up the gravel, put a machine belt on the cutting edge of the plow. I rides over the gravel without tearing it up..Doesn't cut through packed snow though...Also doesn't scratch paved driveways. I did this on both RTV's...Works great.

A potential option idea for the Bxpanded plow?

/ BXpanded snow plow? #22  
jdonovan,
Thanks for the info. One last question - what would you estimate is your install/removal time for the blade?

< 60 seconds.

If I really worked at at, and was on perfectly level ground perhaps 30 seconds.

The basic steps.

Drive up, hooking the cutting edge of the bucket onto snow plow frame.

Hook the chain binder to the bucket. Tighten chain that holds the plow frame to the bucket with the binder.

Attach plow lift chain to hook on the bucket.

Begin plowing snow.

Off is even quicker as there is no need to get anything aligned/tightened.

I like the idea of quick change between blade and FEL since I don't know in advance what snow conditions will require.

As do I. Which is why I went with the bxpanded unit. I'm going to try it out this winter as-is, but my feel is I may setup a 3rd function on my BX so I can have angle control from the seat. Its not hard to manually change the angle, but I feel that if it was easier to adjust the angle I would adjust it more as I worked rather than just leaving the blade at its current angle.

/ BXpanded snow plow? #23  
For those that have a setup similar to this, overall how well does it work for you?

I ask because I did about the same thing with a $100 plow from a neighbor-----I secured it in the loader tight, with chains from each side back to the loader----used it less than an hour and gave up, snow would pack in between the blade and the loader causing the overall weight on the front to be such I couldn't get the back wheels to stay on the ground. I have used the bucket alone, with this blade setup and also used a rear blade---of those three I can't see that the front blade "in" the bucket is the way to go at all---it created alot of hassle for me.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience.

/ BXpanded snow plow? #24  
For those that have a setup similar to this, overall how well does it work for you?

I ask because I did about the same thing with a $100 plow from a neighbor-----I secured it in the loader tight, with chains from each side back to the loader----used it less than an hour and gave up, snow would pack in between the blade and the loader causing the overall weight on the front to be such I couldn't get the back wheels to stay on the ground. I have used the bucket alone, with this blade setup and also used a rear blade---of those three I can't see that the front blade "in" the bucket is the way to go at all---it created alot of hassle for me.

I've no problem with my set up, although I do have loaded tires!!:thumbsup:

In deep snow I do get some snow in the bucket, but nothing I can't "shake" out with the bucket elevated and the plow blade curled down...

Also, plow id hard pinned into my bucket w/ 1" pins, Takes a slight shimmy to line up , pin and then go...No need to tighten chains...Also I got rid of the lift chain and have a piece of pipe in its place, pinned to keep the blade from "floating" I now use the FEL float function, and it works great...

/ BXpanded snow plow? #25  

IM HOOKING A BLADE TO MY BUCKET same way but mine doesnt angle ,its actualy going to be a snow pusher like you see at a parking lot etc .Idrive into it hook up the chains etc .It chatters some on gravel no matter the angle ,but ill solve that when i get the steel to make the two sidewings,im going to make shoes on it like a snowblower so i can adjust how agressive it is.
ALAN

/ BXpanded snow plow?
Based on the video on the BXpanded site, the changeover process appears to be fast and simple. One of my concerns has to do with the fact that the plow mounted to the loader is extended so far forward, thereby increasing the strain on the loader arms and linkage, especially with a lateral load. What did Archimedes say about a long enough lever? Still it appears to be an attractive alternative to having to remove the FEL. Again, I would love to hear from more folks with real world experience with the product, preferably owners from the snow belt states. I'd be more convinced if I saw someone using it to bust through one of those huge, dense, icy berms that the town snow-plow leaves in front of your driveway!

/ BXpanded snow plow? #27  
One of my concerns has to do with the fact that the plow mounted to the loader is extended so far forward, thereby increasing the strain on the loader arms and linkage, especially with a lateral load.

I'd be more convinced if I saw someone using it to bust through one of those huge, dense, icy berms that the town snow-plow leaves in front of your driveway!

This is right here, the problem with any of these tools... you can choose to use them in poor ways.

If you set the plow at full angle, and run at max speed at a fairly solid icy snow pile you ARE going to bend and/or break things.

Just because you only have a hammer doesn't mean the world is made of nails. Use the right tool for the right job... not the tool you happen to have at the moment.

If you have something to clear that will overstress the plow/loader assembly it might be prudent to remove the blade and clear the monster ice/snow blocks with just the loader, and then put the blade back on for fine clean up.

/ BXpanded snow plow?
Agreed... Always best to use a tool within it's limits of performance, however often the difference between a good tool and a poor tool is that the good tool has been designed to withstand the expected stress of a normal work situation. So I guess the question is, what is normal as the term applies to snow removal?

/ BXpanded snow plow? #29  
Agreed... Always best to use a tool within it's limits of performance, however often the difference between a good tool and a poor tool is that the good tool has been designed to withstand the expected stress of a normal work situation. So I guess the question is, what is normal as the term applies to snow removal?

BW, I'm afraid I'm missing your point. Are you questioning whether or not the BXpanded blade is strong enough for normal use? It's a sturdy plow designed for compact and sub-compact tractors. It's not designed for a D-6 dozer, nor was it really intended to "bust through one of those huge, dense, icy berms that the town snow-plow leaves in front of your driveway!" (although, I guess the definition of huge could be anywhere from 12 inches tall to 6 feet tall).

Just because it's reasonably priced doesn't mean we cut corners. The moldboard is 11 gauge steel with a 3/8" thick edge. That's 58% thicker than the 14 gauge used on most homeowner and smaller commercial plows. Take a look at the big name truck plows and see how far up the ladder in cost you have to go to get those specs. The framework is square tubing rather than the typical angle iron.

One of the big advantages is the ability to drop the blade in a very few seconds, do what you need to do with the FEL bucket, then put the blade back on in just a few more seconds. The other big advantage is having a lot more money left in your pocket!

Sometimes you're better off having both the hammer and a wrench. ;)
Harry

/ BXpanded snow plow?
Sorry if I sounded unjustly critical of your product. I think we're actually on the same page. It's the versatility and ease of use that appeal to me (as well as the reasonable cost). Like most anyone researching a product of interest, I was hoping to find out more about the product from actual owner/users, pros and cons. And while I have no doubt that the product itself is well built and of high quality, it would be good to know whether my BX22 FEL could withstand using the BXpanded plow under normal conditions. Normal probably not including charging full bore towards a massive ice berm, but able to get the job done under heavy snow conditions with minimal risk of damage to my tractor.