Stumped??

/ Stumped?? #1  

Toyboy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230D
What is the trick to removing the plastic drive line guards on the quick hitch drive shaft so I can grease the U-joint? I can get at the grease zerk on the snow blower end easy, it's the other end on the quick hitch that's got me stumped. With it on I can't get at the grease zerk. :confused:

/ Stumped?? #3  
I have found that to get at that end you need to disconnect it off the tractor. This lets you bend it sharply at get to the fitting.Believe it or not there is a type of cheap fitting to grease the plastic shields so that they turn if you were to ever get caught up in the shaft. When you are at it pull the shaft apart and grease the drive tubes.
Craig Clayton

/ Stumped??
Thanks Craig, that's what I had to do. Miserable little sucker to get at. Good thing I have a heated garage. Next year I'll make sure the U-joins are all greased before I mount the blower.

/ Stumped?? #5  
I can reach my zerks by raising or lowering the implement which changes the angle kind of like disconnecting it.

/ Stumped?? #6  
To Woodchuckie
I am Guessing that most of the large plastic collars are to keep finger things and such out, you probably need to bend the shaft on a sharp angle to get to the zerk.
Craig Clayton

/ Stumped?? #7  
I take all my PTO shafts completely off the implement and flop them up on the workbench to grease them. For me the safety shields are impossible to work with while greasing.