Tractor
    Early 80's Kubota B8200

Default Upgrading B8200 charging system to 1 wire alternator?

I installed 2 sets of lights on my ROPs 2 for ahead and 2 for the hoe. My headlights are smashed out from the previous owner from dumping rocks out of the bucket apparently. A few nights ago I was doing the worse job one can do with a tractor: digging a resting spot for my old beagle. Anyway, I was revved up to 2000rpm or so for about 30 minutes with all 4 lights running (220w or so). I then went and pushed some snowbanks back with the throttle set at 1500 and revving up to 2600 when needed. Noticed that the lights were dimmer at 1500 than 2600. Shut the tractor off for an hour and almost didn't restart due to low battery. I let her rev to 2000 for about 30 minutes while i cleaned up the yard with the wheeler. Started perfect the next day, so the little generator obviously can charge the battery enough for restart, but clearly can no support my lights.

Anyone install a small 1 wire alternator on one of these old tractors? Is there a certain type someone has used with good results?
    -1983 Kubota B8200D 4x4, 9 spd, power steering, BF300 50" loader, "Bolen" (Woods BH650) 3 pt backhoe.

-Lots of diesel engines/vehicles of varying years and horsepower

Certifiable Cetane Junky

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B8200, 1953 International "Super C"

Default Re: Upgrading B8200 charging system to 1 wire alternator?

Sorry to hear about your dog, that is the worst job to do with a tractor.

i also have a B8200, and was about to add a few lights. Never thought that the battery and charging system would be lacking. Is your battery stumbling, mine is 12 years old.

Do you think LED lights would do better? less amps and all.

Hope to hear more

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

When I had my B8200HSTD, I never had need to use the lights much. There were threads here about that generation of kubota's, about a higher power dynamo.

On old Jeeps, it is popular to install higher power 1-wire altenators; I did when I had my old CJ5. Went from ~40A to 105A. It could certianly be done on a B8200. Size would come in to play; there is not much room for a large alternator, unless some judicial side panel trimming was done.

Would be worth a trip to pick-n-pull or a wrecker, and look at alternators from a compact car...

I'd bet a nickel you could get a used compact car alternator and some brackets you can modify, cheaper than the Kubota upgrade...

Oh, you know if the battery is low, you can use the compression release to get the motor spinning faster to make an easier start...
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S

Quote Originally Posted by AKwelder
    Sorry to hear about your dog, that is the worst job to do with a tractor.

i also have a B8200, and was about to add a few lights. Never thought that the battery and charging system would be lacking. Is your battery stumbling, mine is 12 years old.

Do you think LED lights would do better? less amps and all.

Hope to hear more
    I went with LED lights for my B7610 and its wimpy 15 Amp generater.

They only use about 6 watts, and are easily as bright as a 35W halogen. I gave two in the ROPS, one forward, and one rearward -- and have plenty of light to work with.
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL
    Everything Attachments Pin-on Pallet Forks, home-made FEL quick attach to swap between these forks and the bucket, Dual rear remotes, CCM Top-N-Tilt, Woods SB60 snowblower, 66" United box blade, 60" back blade (cheapo, old and rusty), 60" KK rake, Woods PHD w/ 9" auger, Yanmar RS1303 3pt tiller, Kubota Ballast box (came with the tractor), Farm Force Carry All.
    '9? G1800S, 48" MMM. 70's Troy Bilt Horse tiller with new 6.5HP briggs engine.

The means justify the ends.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Guess I would add, this is a common conversion on Ford N series. But, they have more room...

Tractor
    Early 80's Kubota B8200

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    Oh, you know if the battery is low, you can use the compression release to get the motor spinning faster to make an easier start...
    That's how I got 'er going! Luckily I looked for such a lever since I'm used to them on hand cranked emergency diesel powered air compressors and lifeboat engines. The pull cable has been removed.

Just remembered I have an old kubota Z600 2 cylinder off an old reefer unit in one of the garages. I want to say it had a real alternator and not a generator. If I dream something up that is virtually bolt on, I'll post pics.
    -1983 Kubota B8200D 4x4, 9 spd, power steering, BF300 50" loader, "Bolen" (Woods BH650) 3 pt backhoe.

-Lots of diesel engines/vehicles of varying years and horsepower

Certifiable Cetane Junky

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I installed my two Santa-supplied LED lights today, mounted on ROPS - one forward and other facing to the rear. They draw 18 watts each - so total additional load is less than a single incandescent light. Plus, I doubt that I'll use stock lights much any more - so i won't have that load on the charging system. In my view, this route is significantly easier than upgrading the alternator.
    Mike

"As you go through life, make this your goal: watch the donut, not the hole"

Kubota B7800
    BH-75A Backhoe
    Rhino 60'' finish mower

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

The motor for the B8200 was used in other applications, like 27-30' sailboats. Wonder if they used a bigger dynamo or alternator?

1-wire from a Chevy would be cheapest though... just not sure how it would clear sheetmetal.

Quote Originally Posted by DZLDamon View Post
    Just remembered I have an old kubota Z600 2 cylinder off an old reefer unit in one of the garages. I want to say it had a real alternator and not a generator. If I dream something up that is virtually bolt on, I'll post pics.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Tractorless :(

Sorry about your dog. We lost our old Aussie last year. Hand digging his final resting place was good therapy.

Don't have any input about your problem, but I did find it curious that my little 2660 comes with a 40amp alternator as a stock item and you have to add that as an option on the "real" tractors.

Ian
    Everlast PowerArc200

Gold Member
    Tractor
    B2150DT / Oliver OC-3

I went thru this with my 2150, which I'm told replaced the 8200/9200 line? There isn't much room - the kubota kit included a special bracket which was really an idler pulley. The original engine belt groove drives the idler and an offset belt drives a new relacement alternator mounted a bit higher than the original. I bought all the kubota parts except the alternator which I got new off ebay for alot less. Expensive but very well engineered solution. If yours is like this, good luck. I posted the Kubota sheet with parts instructions a couple years ago on this do a search.
    Marty