B21 - Remove Backhoe

/ B21 - Remove Backhoe #1  

PointyHairedBoss

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21 TLB, Kubota B2920
I'm trying to remove the backhoe from my new-to-me 2004 B21 for the first time. The shop manual pages are attached below.

I raised the rear wheels as noted in Step 1 but I am stuck on Step 2 - I can't budge the mount levers. Am I missing something?

Also, Step 3 says to "set snap pins to the release position"??? - didn't I just remove those in Step 2?

Attachments

• RemoveBackhoe.pdf
    400.9 KB · Views: 1,077
   / B21 - Remove Backhoe #2  
The instructions are wrong. I beleive they may be different in the backhoe manual. Step 3 should be to pull or hammer the two round levers that were locked by the snap pins to the rear release position.

/ B21 - Remove Backhoe #4  
The snap pins are hitch pins near the bottom of the mount levers. Remove the pins then hammer the levers open. The mount levers may be difficult to move if they have not been opened for a while. Mine have to be hammered to open and I take the backhoe off atleast once a year.

/ B21 - Remove Backhoe
   / B21 - Remove Backhoe #6  
If you get the lock pins (moved with the levers) to pull back, then lock them in the back position with the hairpin.

Then you kinda have to fool around with the boom jiggling things to get the "jaws" to open. I have the stabilizers down at this time too, about 1 inch off the floor. BTW, I put little plywood squares down so the concrete doesn't get dinged up since you'll be using the stabilizer to lift up the backhoe after you've lowered the back end a bit. Also put a piece of plywood under the bucket end.

I also put a cinderblock with a 2x6 on it under the entire assembly. After I have the backhoe off, I lower it onto the cinder block so that the stabilizers and the block are helping to hold it all up.

You kinda have to just play with it, and you'll what movements it takes. The first time I took it off was about 20 minutes of messing around, now I can take it off in about 3 minutes. It's a good idea to keep the levers and jaws lubed, and take the backhoe off every year or so to be sure everything is moving OK. Note that you can just open the jaws up and then lock it back down to be sure nothing is frozen.

If you've used WD-40, go back with a thicker oil after it's all moving.

You'll figure it out :)

Pete

/ B21 - Remove Backhoe #7  
I also put a cinderblock with a 2x6 on it under the entire assembly. After I have the backhoe off, I lower it onto the cinder block so that the stabilizers and the block are helping to hold it all up.

I lower mine all the way to the ground. I guess it would be better to have it sitting on something elevated to avoid water contact. I have never had mine off for more than a few days at a time. How stable is in on the cinderblock?

/ B21 - Remove Backhoe #8  
The 2x6 is wider than the cinder block, and more of less "fits" the bottom of the backhoe. I still have the stabilizers down, so it's plenty stable. It's just easier to back up to it and do the initial hook-up when it's up in the air a bit.

I also tend to leave it on, taking it off only to put on my tiller or landscape rake for the project of the week. I'm lucky enough now to park it in a tractor garage so water isn't a problem.

Pete

/ B21 - Remove Backhoe
The WD40 didn't work.

I thought of moving the set pins back manually since they do wiggle when I load the boom. Then I would have more room to go to work on the frozen pivots once the backhoe was out of the way. But they are connected to the mount levers with small pins & I can't get those out either (see photo).

I saw another thread discussing penetrating oils so I'll try something else.

Attachments

• 1A.pdf
    648.4 KB · Views: 492