Moving Round Bales with a BX

/ Moving Round Bales with a BX #1  

Just2quickz28

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 24
I generally use a hay spike on the 3pt hitch to do move these bales, but it turns out the FEL can handle the bale in a pinch.

P9270266.JPG

/ Moving Round Bales with a BX #3  
:thumbsup: LOOKING GOOD!

/ Moving Round Bales with a BX #5  
I generally use a hay spike on the 3pt hitch to do move these bales, but it turns out the FEL can handle the bale in a pinch.

P9270266.JPG

That all the more reason to buy a mini baler from Wolagri :(

/ Moving Round Bales with a BX #6  
We had an unusual report from a BX-25 customer that while his neighbor was baling hay the ford 5600 bit the dust. Rain on it's way they backed the BX up and baled the final two loads with it!!!! This is a kicker baler and was towing a wagon to boot!!!

He said you felt every plunger stroke and just thinking it probably pushed it ahead a foot everytime.

/ Moving Round Bales with a BX
I am always surprised at how much this small tractor can do with a bit of patience. I figure with a set of forks vs the bucket forks the weight would be easier to handle because the weight would move back about a foot.

I generally only move round bales with the FEL in the winter when the backhoe is on for a counter weight to my snow plow.

/ Moving Round Bales with a BX #8  

<i'm not a hay guy>

i know how much a square bale of hay or straw weighs, give or take.
but how much does a round hay bale (like you show) typically weigh, dry/damp/wet?

wrooster

DSCN5535.JPG

/ Moving Round Bales with a BX
Wrooster,

That is a 4ft by 4ft diameter round bale, wet I would say around 500-650lbs depending on the bale and as they dry out they get considerably lighter 400lbs or so.

I have to push them off my landscape trailer and into a carport for storage in the summer when the bales are fresh its much harder work than in the winter when they are dried out.

The round bales are probably going to be the reason I upgrade my tractor at some point.

Last edited:
   / Moving Round Bales with a BX #10  
Wrooster,

That is a 5ft by 4ft diameter round bale, wet I would say around 500-650lbs depending on the bale and as they dry out they get considerably lighter 400lbs or so.

I have to push them off my landscape trailer and into a carport for storage in the summer when the bales are fresh its much harder work than in the winter when they are dried out.

The round bales are probably going to be the reason I upgrade my tractor at some point.

Either those aren't 4x5 bales or they were rolled really loose. We make 4x4 bales with a JD446 baler and they are 700-800lbs dry.

I move 4x4 round bales front and rear with my B3200 and it's about the smallest tractor I would use. Any kind of hill and I have to be pretty careful.