Tractor
    Kubato 7430

Default 7040 hard to engage in reverse

I have a 1998 7040 with 300 hours on it. All fluids good and can't determine why when using the reverse periodically doesn't want to shift easily. Wondering if some kind of linkage adjustment. Clutch works fine and engages and disengages easily. Any ideas?

Tractor
    m8540

Default Re: 7040 hard to engage in reverse

didn't realize the MXX40 series went that far back. anyway, is the problem w/the gearshift, or shuttle? is the shuttle hyd or synchro?
    I could not shift my 12 sp. 8540 into 1st the day it arrived...pulled the rubber boot off the gearshift and discovered a small linkage was loose so just tightened it up and it worked fine.....prior to that, my new 7040 would not shuttle (hyd) into reverse and discovered the shuttle shifter needed adj, an easy fix i believe on the steering column But if the problem is gear shifter related, check linkages. ......good luck

Tractor
    Kubato 7430

Quote Originally Posted by big bubba
    didn't realize the MXX40 series went that far back. anyway, is the problem w/the gearshift, or shuttle? is the shuttle hyd or synchro?
    I could not shift my 12 sp. 8540 into 1st the day it arrived...pulled the rubber boot off the gearshift and discovered a small linkage was loose so just tightened it up and it worked fine.....prior to that, my new 7040 would not shuttle (hyd) into reverse and discovered the shuttle shifter needed adj, an easy fix i believe on the steering column But if the problem is gear shifter related, check linkages. ......good luck
    Thank you.it hydro shuttle will look under boot.

Tractor
    Kubato 7430

No coffee when wrote original. It a 2008. Also it is a hyrdo shift. Will look under boot and hope issue is there. Many thanks for replies.

Tractor
    m8540

Default Re: 7040 hard to engage in reverse

Grand Ridge: thinking about reverse on your hyd shuttle....when u say "hard to engage in reverse", do u mean physically hard to engage the shuttle shifter? or is sometimes hit or miss when engaging into reverse? if all 4 gears engage ok on shifter in L or H range, then it must be the hyd shifter. w/o looking @ my own rig, i believe there's a clam type cover over the hyd shifter...removing that, there should be an adjustment for the shifter for travel in either direction (F & R). there may not be enough travel into reverse to engage the actuator valve in the tranny. this has been a common problem from the factory on those models. after adj. just be sure each dir. has equal travel and that neutral position is centered. should be a simple fix. good luck

Tractor
    Kubato 7430

Thank you. I did as you suggest and works fine now.