Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #71  
I used my blade today with no further modification. The rubber is more stiff and the edge didn't cut into the sod ar all. Not sure how well the snow will scour on a side angle but, it sure dragged a lot of water from the inch of slush we had this morning. So far it is a thumbs up improvement.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #72  
When parking the blade on the ground with rubber folded over does it tend to take a set and not bend back straight?

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #73  
I may give this stall mat routine a try on my front mount plow this year. I get real frozen ground on my gravel drives, but also get several thaws too. So I think I'll only allow an inch or so below the sandwich of the blade and cutting edge. I want as stiff a surface, other then a metal blade, can be provided by the rubber mat.
I'm not looking for any kind of fold over of the mat, at least that's what I'm thinking will work well for my application.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!
So we get about 12 inches today here in CT - if you listen to the newscaster you would think the world is about to end - just ridicules :laughing:. However - being the first snow fall of the year I was anxious to try out my new idea of using the round 2.5 inch steel pipe (tried plastic once and it didn't hold up) instead of the rubber horse mat that served me so well in the past (rear blade) and last year it was "just" ok with my front blade since I bolted the mat right against the cutting edge so there was a prominent 90 degree bend when the blade was touching the ground. So, this year I decided to try just a round pipe on my front blade (I read the round pipe also worked well) - well I was very very displeased with the results - I found the pipe dug in too much (even in the float position) and I tried different angles. So, out to the barn I go and bolt the horse mat up against the round pipe and WOW :thumbsup: - I am beginning to think this will be the bees knees since the mat folds around the pipe with less stress then when bolted to the cutting edge. It is just so much more forgiving.

I am doing the happy dance :cool2: - it works fantastic - it leaves what I can only describe is a beautiful skim coat of snow on the top of the gravel. Again - the horse mat is a home run. Read Blade and / or Front blade with about a 6 inch fold under the blades - I highly recommend. I honestly dont think there is anything better than using the mat on gravel let alone its cheap and wears like iron!

Attachments

• DSCN1830.JPG
    DSCN1830.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,875
  • IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,307
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,282
  • IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,861
  • IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,665
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,748
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,918
Last edited:
   / Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #75  
Did my first plowing with a piece of split 4" pvc slipped over the cutting edge today. Was very pleased with the results. We got around 8" but with all the wind, there were some drifts near 2'. I'm ready for spring.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #76  
So we get about 12 inches today here in CT - if you listen to the newscaster you would think the world is about to end - just ridicules :laughing:. However - being the first snow fall of the year I was anxious to try out my new idea of using the round 2.5 inch steel pipe (tried plastic once and it didn't hold up) instead of the rubber horse mat that served me so well in the past (rear blade) and last year it was "just" ok with my front blade since I bolted the mat right against the cutting edge so there was a prominent 90 degree bend when the blade was touching the ground. So, this year I decided to try just a round pipe on my front blade (I read the round pipe also worked well) - well I was very very displeased with the results - I found the pipe dug in too much (even in the float position) and I tried different angles. So, out to the barn I go and bolt the horse mat up against the round pipe and WOW :thumbsup: - I am beginning to think this will be the bees knees since the mat folds around the pipe with less stress then when bolted to the cutting edge. It is just so much more forgiving.

I am doing the happy dance :cool2: - it works fantastic - it leaves what I can only describe is a beautiful skim coat of snow on the top of the gravel. Again - the horse mat is a home run. Read Blade and / or Front blade with about a 6 inch fold under the blades - I highly recommend. I honestly dont think there is anything better than using the mat on gravel let alone its cheap and wears like iron!

what kind of plow is that and whatd it run ya? is it using the kubota pin-on QA?

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!
what kind of plow is that and whatd it run ya? is it using the kubota pin-on QA?

Matt,

It is a 72 inch Curtis Front plow originally for a L series (another wonderful Craigslist find) - I had it modified by a welder to adapt to my Kubota Pin-On Quick-Hitch Adapter - works awesome.

Take a look at this previous post.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/326523-b2920-curis-snow-front-blade.html

I just did a quick search and found this - not sure if this is of interest however I paid $900 for my blade (which sat brand new in a barn) and had to add hydraulics as well as some welding work to make it fit the width of my loader arms. In my estimation I think this is a excellent price :thumbsup: - not sure I understand the $3.00 shipping though :).

Curtis 60" Snowplow Blade | eBay

Last edited:
   / Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #78  
I gotta try that on my bucket. My prob never is the driveway but the lawn where everybody turns around. Loader just rides up on snow or wants to dig in. That would solve most of it outright . The best part is that the bucket already has all the mounting holes OEM. Thanks for the idea.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #79  
So we get about 12 inches today here in CT - if you listen to the newscaster you would think the world is about to end - just ridicules 😆. However - being the first snow fall of the year I was anxious to try out my new idea of using the round 2.5 inch steel pipe (tried plastic once and it didn't hold up) instead of the rubber horse mat that served me so well in the past (rear blade) and last year it was "just" ok with my front blade since I bolted the mat right against the cutting edge so there was a prominent 90 degree bend when the blade was touching the ground. So, this year I decided to try just a round pipe on my front blade (I read the round pipe also worked well) - well I was very very displeased with the results - I found the pipe dug in too much (even in the float position) and I tried different angles. So, out to the barn I go and bolt the horse mat up against the round pipe and WOW 👍 - I am beginning to think this will be the bees knees since the mat folds around the pipe with less stress then when bolted to the cutting edge. It is just so much more forgiving.

New member here reviving an old thread, but I think that Jambx has the perfect solution to a problem I have had for years. I would be really interested in seeing how well it has held up. I.m going to try this on my 8' Hiniker plow on mt truck. I plow quite a few gravel drives in the winter and hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #80  
Is there a reason you guys don't use plow skid shoes? Most are adjustable for height and you could probably even fab most of them yourself. The shoes themselves are pretty cheap as replacement parts.

I have them on my ATV blade and they work great for gravel driveways.
I bought those for my rear blade and found they don’t work at all for gravel driveways. They sink into the gravel and the blade scrapes gather gravel off. I assume that skid shoes are designed for paved surfaces.