Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #1  

jambx

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB, ZD21-60P, 1949 US Baird Beaver
I just thought I would share something that I think worked really well for me. I knew well ahead of time I was going to be frustrated this winter plowing my newly installed stone driveway so I began to look at ways to mitigate the effect the cutting edge on my rear blade had on the gravel surface. Someone in the past posted how well ABS (not PVC) pipe worked when fitted to the blade edge. Sounded like it would work and purchased a 10 foot length of 2 inch for $20. I gave it a shot (well two shots). After the first storm of the year (12 inches) it worked like a charm....well almost until right at the end of the plowing the stone wore it down to the point it just cracked. I replaced with the second piece and it too showed major wear so it was evident this ABS pipe route was not going to work.

I then remembered someone here stated how well Horse Stall Mat worked as a blade edge (Tractor Supply 4'x6' mat - $39). So I run out and picked up a mat, cut a strip and bolted it on. The next storm (18 inches) it worked like a charm - actually pushed the majority of snow with almost no ill effect to the stone (which is small pea like gravel).

So, I now have an awesome snow blade for gravel, it wears like iron (after plowing showed no wear) and I can use the remainder as a nice foot mat in front of my work bench until I need to make another - hey I have enough to make 4 more!!!

Cheers,

~jim

Attachments

• DSCN1829.JPG
    DSCN1829.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 15,921
  • DSCN1830.JPG
    DSCN1830.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 9,666
  • DSCN1834.JPG
    DSCN1834.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 10,141
  • DSCN1836.JPG
    DSCN1836.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 10,968
  • DSCN1838.JPG
    DSCN1838.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 12,672
  • DSCN1839.JPG
    DSCN1839.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 12,791
  • DSCN1843.JPG
    DSCN1843.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 11,877
  • DSCN1846.JPG
    DSCN1846.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 17,365
  • DSCN1847.JPG
    DSCN1847.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 12,042
  • DSCN1848.JPG
    DSCN1848.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 11,229
   / Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #2  
Yup..I've been doing the same thing with machine belts for years..Works great for aggregate driveways.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #3  
Would this work just as well on a smaller BX2360? I have a similar drive, and the tractor is new to me but I know it doesn't have the 1/4 inching on the 3 point hitch.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!
Would this work just as well on a smaller BX2360? I have a similar drive, and the tractor is new to me but I know it doesn't have the 1/4 inching on the 3 point hitch.

Forget 1/4 inch'ing - as you can see I have 3 inches of the mat expoused below the cutting edge - all I do is drop the blade until it just hits the surface although I can drop it down furthur if I need more down pressure on the surface in one of the pics you will see it smashed on the ground and even under this condition the blade floated over the stone. I acually have more control like this than 1/4 inching. It would work just find with your 2360.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #6  
do you think it would work on a front mounted plow blade? I was going to go order some special UHMW pipe to put on the blades cutting edge ( Graingers $56/10' section). I tried the pipe last storm ( 22" ) but the cold shattered it. It did work awesome up to that point.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!
do you think it would work on a front mounted plow blade? I was going to go order some special UHMW pipe to put on the blades cutting edge ( Graingers $56/10' section). I tried the pipe last storm ( 22" ) but the cold shattered it. It did work awesome up to that point.

I am personally done with plastic pipe and anything to do with plowing. The stall mat material is very robust and resilient so I would assume it would work quite well when attached to a front blade lip - I would assume the cutting edge of the plow is bolted like a rear blade so it should be a easy install.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #8  
I'm going to try it on a front blade. A Meyer 8' converted truck plow, but I'm going to use a piece of old quarry conveyor belt I have. Hopefully it won't be too stiff and will be able to flex over.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #9  
Anyone have any ideas out there on what to put on the front of a snow or dirt bucket so when i push the snow into the grass it doesnt dig up the sod? I heard of people bolting a pipe to the bottom of a cutting edge? However i want to get close enough to the gravel driveway so that my wifes car can get in and out without spinning all the way out or sinking in the snow 2-3 inches.

/ Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!! #10  
Is there a reason you guys don't use plow skid shoes? Most are adjustable for height and you could probably even fab most of them yourself. The shoes themselves are pretty cheap as replacement parts.

I have them on my ATV blade and they work great for gravel driveways.