3-Point Hitch Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ???

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #1  

tk1469

Tractor
L2800
I'm planning purchasing an L3800HST in the Spring and I've been seeing some posts on the different Forums about a chronic problem with the 3 point hitches on the Kubota B and L series. The problem deals with a 3 point hitch that is not smooth - but is jerky when moving up or down.

Kubota was supposed to have fixed it with a new valve of some sort - but it seems to be that some folks are still having problems.

How many of you out there are still having this issue ? Also - what has your dealer (or you ) done to fix it ?

Thank you !!

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #2  
I bought my L3400 a couple of weeks ago and the 3PH does the herky jerky thing when I try to raise it slowly. I knew it before I bought it, but it doesn't bother me. It is smooth going down and that is where I need control.

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #3  
mine has never really bothered me. but I only use it for box blade. I slowed down the speed with the control knob under the seat a bit and it is fine. If u are going to do precision work with it you might be disappointed. Mine is 3 years old though, they may be better now.

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #4  
I used my 3ph with a boom pole with heavy loads... It really sucks for that :mad: and as mentioned if you want to raise a brush hog a half inch...better be wearing a seatbelt. Part of the problem was that the suspension seats were in the locked down position so you felt all of the jerk... I have a bad back and it hurt a couple of times.

Go to the dealer and hook something up... and try it for yourself. If you didn't know that the 3ph should work extremely smoothly, even 30 yo tractors, you might not know the difference.

Last edited:
   / Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #5  
My 2010 L3400 still has the jerky 3ph going up. Doesnt bother me any at all. If you move the handle rapidly to a position, there is one jerk at the end when the implement comes to a stop. then you can feather it down to where you want it smoothly, as it is as smooth as silk going down. BUT if you try to raise the hitch slowly to a given position, then it is jerky city. Some have said they dont have the problem, some have said the 2008 2009 models dont have the problem. some have said that a new valve kubota has will fix the problem.. Some have said it will not. some have said "well that is how 1/4 inching is supposed to work" only problem there it is not a 1/4 inching valve. It is position control. Some have speculated that the 3800 does not have the problem. I do not know. I do know this, if you raise the loader at the same time as you raise the 3PH the problem goes away. Of course there would be less hydraulic flow going to the 3PH at that time as the 3PH is after the Power Beyond port on the control valve of the loader. Take this info for what you paid for it, but to me it is not a problem, it may be for others. Love the tractor overall, reliable and when properly loaded it is a workhorse, and it fits me well. YMMV

James K0UA

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #6  
If you're buying a new one ask the dealer to hook up an augur to it and try it. That's the worst mine has ever jerked.

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #7  
I've got an '08 and I use it to blade my lane, push snow, mow, and till. It jerks, but it has never been a problem. When I first got it, I didn't think much about it until I saw all the complaints on this site. All the other tractors I have owned (Ford, Massey, & JD) were silky smooth. I wish this tractor was smooth, but I like the whole package so much, it's not an issue.

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #8  
Well I have an 06 year model L2800 that is supposed to have the "new" valve and it jerks. I don't like it at all, but have become accustomed to it. Can't or won't afford to get a new tractor.

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ???
Thanks Guys - it appears that there are still many of Kubotas out there that have this problem. You would've thought that K would've figured this one out by now.

Thanks for your advice and feedback -

Go Orange !

/ Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??? #10  
One belief about the valve is to get you to step up and buy the Grand L - instead of the "cheap" economy tractor. I think if they did put a smooth valve in it, for not much money, they would not be able to stock the tractor at dealers as it would be a very popular choice... Personally, I would not buy one with the jerky valve period