Snowblower on B21??

/ Snowblower on B21?? #11  
I ran a 60" with no problem - doesn't really matter on the size since it is a matter of how much snow you blow; wider just means you need to drive slower. That being said always run in low, gives you more hp for the blower

What u will find is that a rear blower is a pain in the neck, literally ! I hate rear blowers.

If you are creative, you could try to enable a joy stick steering and hydro static control thus sitting in the seat like u would for operating the back hoe. Now your neck wouldn't hurt at all!!!!

/ Snowblower on B21?? #12  
HI Guys.

realize this is an old thread, but I just put a new 60" Woodmaxx SB on my B21 this fall and we had our first snow today - 5' of wet slush heavy snow. Also this is the first time I have used the PTO on the B21 ever.. SO I don't know what is normal transmission noise is for these machines running the PTO.

I have ran tractor PTO for many years on the farm, but never heard the PTO whine like I hear on my B21 with the SB. It is best described as gear noise that oscillates with the load on the blower, and is very noticeable and that is my concern. I know if this could be the snowblower impeller (it does have a 20Lb 22" impeller) making the tranny gears whine?

So, do B21's make a lot of PTO noise or oscillating gear whine under load? If you guys can let me know, if this is "normal" or not that would make me feel a lot better!

Thanks

Carl

/ Snowblower on B21?? #13  
Most snow blower have a gear box. Have you checked the gear box on the blower and insured it contains gear oil? The whine noise could be coming from the gear box on the blower.

/ Snowblower on B21?? #14  
There is also an adjustment for the drive chain. Even though the blower may be new, check the tension there also. I believe the recommended tension on my Meteor blower is 1/2 ".

/ Snowblower on B21?? #15  
Most snow blower have a gear box. Have you checked the gear box on the blower and insured it contains gear oil? The whine noise could be coming from the gear box on the blower.

Yes Thanks - the Gear Box is filled with Gear Oil - the PTO whine is coming from the tractor under seat/floor pan area. Now I guess the gear box could be transmitting noise into the PTO I suppose.. That's why I was asking if this was "normal" on the B21?

/ Snowblower on B21?? #16  
There is also an adjustment for the drive chain. Even though the blower may be new, check the tension there also. I believe the recommended tension on my Meteor blower is 1/2 ".

Yes, I ran it no snow, when I first got it, then lubricated it and ran some more, then took out the slack in the chain so there is no whipping or slop in the chain now - its not too tight as that could cause binding, but snug. .

Thanks,

Carl

/ Snowblower on B21?? #17  
Check your hydrostatic level in your tractor - I believe the dip stick is behind the seat, above the three point hitch

/ Snowblower on B21?? #18  
You can also try to see if the noise is still present with the blower off - Just engage the PTO w/o anything attached.

/ Snowblower on B21?? #19  
Hyd oil level is good - just a tad below full, I have the blower off now and will run it again to check this.

My suspicion is the blower impeller (@ 60 lbs) is heavy and when turning it by hand with the blower gears fully meshed/engaged it has a bit of oscillating noise from the gears. If I slightly disengage the gears the noise is eliminated. So I may shim the main shaft inside the gearbox back like .040" slightly disengaging the gears.

Carl

/ Snowblower on B21?? #20  
I'm wondering if the gear box, being new, will settle in after a little wear. Try putting some hours on it.