Water in hydraulic oil. What to do?

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #1  

wjsizemore77

Yesterday I changed the hydraulic oil filter on my L3430 GST 470 hours. Seeing as I lost a quart or so of oil durring the change, I topped off the oil (and made a small mess as the funnel popped out of the hole in the process). To clean up the mess, I sprayed some simple green and rinsed with the hose. Afterwards I pull the dipstick to double check the level, and notice water droplets on the dipstick. It never occured to me that the rubber snorkle tube was missing from the filler cap, and some water must have fell down in as I rinsed the area with the hose. :( I don't know how much may have gotten in, only that I rinsed the area with a garden hose 50% choked off, for 30 seconds or so sweeping back and forth. The hole it would have gone in approx 1/4" diameter.

Now I am wondering what to do. I put the tractor back in the garage yesterday figuring I need to change all the hydraulic oil. I've done some searching on here, and seems like a small amount of water in the hyd-oil is no big deal and it will "boil out" if I run it long enough, and others seem to point to a complete drain, flush, drain again, remove the FEL hoses, flush, etc. The oil presently isn't milky at all, and has a dark honey coloration to it.

Thoughts??? Thanks in advance.

Bill.

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #2  
If you are unsure about the amount of water I suggest you drain the oil into a VERY CLEAN pan and check. If the oil is clean then you can refilter it through a CLEAN FUNNEL and refill the tractor. Why throw away perfectly good oil when it can be checked.
Craig Clayton

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #3  
I agree with Craig. Drain all of the oil and look at it. Since oil is lighter than water,it should float on top.(I doubt that you got enough water into the oil to worry about). I would save the oil drained out and after inspection,put it back into the tractor with a CLEAN funnel. I would do this before bleeding all of your hydraluic system which is a big job. Be sure to drain the filter too. You are right, small amounts of oil will boil away with use so if there is any left in the system after draining,it shouldn't hurt anything. Good Luck and let us know how everything turns out. Belah:thumbsup:

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do?
I've read a couple posts on adding Seafoam to the Hyd-Oil to aid in removing embedded water. Again, they varied from it worked great, to it destroyed the machine. If it is a relavtively small amount (say half a cup of water in 11 gallons of hydraulic), is this advisable? Would that amount of water absorb harmlessly into the oil?

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #5  
You likely didn't get enough water in the system to do any harm. As a precaution, I would park the tractor overnight. If you have a significant amount of water in the system it will migrate to lowest part of the sump. This should be fairly near the drain plug. Remove the plug. Any water should come out first. Reinstall plug when oil runs clear. Check the oil for foam, after running for a short time. Change oil if suspicious looking.

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #6  
I've used Seafoam in the fuel tank to remove water residue but I don't think i'd put it my hydraulic system. I still don't think that you've got enough water in there to do any harm. If there was a significant amount of water in the hyd. oil, it would show up as a distinct separation of oil and water on the dipstick or at leaqst the hyr. oil would look milky. Belah:thumbsup:

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #7  
That little j shaped hose just was not good enough for me. I took a clear piece of fuelhose and fuel hose clamp and changed the vent to go under the seat.lI believe it is an improvement for venting . Plus I can see if by chance any debris is being pulled towards the oil reservoir.Jy.

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #8  
You likely didn't get enough water in the system to do any harm. As a precaution, I would park the tractor overnight. If you have a significant amount of water in the system it will migrate to lowest part of the sump. This should be fairly near the drain plug. Remove the plug. Any water should come out first. Reinstall plug when oil runs clear. Check the oil for foam, after running for a short time. Change oil if suspicious looking.

I agree 100%:thumbsup:

/ Water in hydraulic oil. What to do?
That little j shaped hose just was not good enough for me. I took a clear piece of fuelhose and fuel hose clamp and changed the vent to go under the seat.lI believe it is an improvement for venting . Plus I can see if by chance any debris is being pulled towards the oil reservoir.Jy.

I bought the tractor a month ago, second hand. It didn't even have the "J", which I didn't realize it was supposed to have until I looked at a diagram that showed that area in the owner's manual. I plan to run the hose & filter like you described.

Thanks all for the replies. I am more at ease now. I will drop the plug/s tomorrow and see what comes out. Doesn't water float on oil though? I've heard about checking for water at the plug, but how does it get down there?

Last edited:
   / Water in hydraulic oil. What to do? #10  
Oil floats on water so in your case if there is any water it will be a very small drop in the bottom o the clean pan.
Craig Clayton