Traction Chains up front

/ Chains up front #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
For about the fifth time so far this winter, I spent most of the day removing snow from my driveway, :thumbsup:, with my BX24. Traction is acceptable with the R4 tires, but steering is another story. Would chains on the front wheels help considerably in steering? I only have experience with chains on the back of a RWD tractor, and they were fantastic. Would it be worth the effort and money to put chains on the front of my tractor to help with steering in the snow?

/ Chains up front #2  
In a word "YES".

Attachments

• power of the orange 009.jpg
    power of the orange 009.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 388
   / Chains up front #3  
Chains will transform your tractor into a whole different machine in the snow. I would say get all four chained up and be ready say WOW.

/ Chains up front #4  
If your Kubota has steering brakes, learn to use 'em.

/ Chains up front #6  
A lot of people feel that chains on the front causes too much stress on the front drive line. Some say it doesn't...

I'm thinking about trying it....:thumbsup:

/ Chains up front
I just got my driveway paved three months ago, so I'm babying it, which is what will probably make me just keep putting up with the inability to steer. :)

/ Chains up front #8  
RAY ,
Ijust picked up a set for my bx ,just for the reason you said .They are atv chains ive cut them down to fit mine.Aint on yet cause i had to ordertightners ,bungees wouldnt keep them tight enough [equally]and they would hit on the inside in places.Gonna install this weekend
ALAN

/ Chains up front #9  
If your Kubota has steering brakes, learn to use 'em.

I've given up trying to use the steering brakes on my B2620. They are on the same side as the hydro pedal. I've tried my toe on the brake and heel on the hydro, crossing my legs, cruise control ( almost ran a mailbox over). I've got a loader mounted plow blade this year and I'm thinking of getting front chains along with my rear chains now myself because it is definitely hard to steer. More money, sigh.

/ Chains up front #10  
Get the chains!!! I've had chains on all four for four years and you won't believe the difference, as for strain on the front drive I don't see how it would be any more than driving on irregular surfaces with the a fully loaded FEL. Steering brakes also help but for some reason Kubota puts them on the left where they're pretty useless. I use front chains on my old RWD Case 580 and even there they make a huge difference.