ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
The zerk at the top of my LA724 loader's rollback cylinder broke off, & I'm having a fit trying to find a replacement.

No problem with the threads; It unscrewed right out. Took it with me to match it up. Tried Tractor Supply, Discount Auto Parts, Home Depot, & finally ... my Kubota dealer (way across town). Believe it or not even they didn't have it.

So, today I took the broken one back into Home Depot to at least determine the thread size. Tried 5/16" coarse thread: Nope. Tried 5/16" fine thread: Nope. Tried 8mm metric: Nope. But wait ... Upon closer look, they have both 8mm 1.0 thread & 8mm 1.25 thread ... Wah-lah, at least I now know it's 8mm 1.25 thread.

Now ... where to get an 8mm zerk with 1.25 threads??? :confused2:

Anybody?

(Due to miles traveled, this is gonna end up being the most expensive thing on the tractor, by weight anyway)

Edit: Broken zerk takes a 9mm socket

Edit 2: The OEM zerk appears to be straight threads, not tapered. And it does screw all the way down into an 8mm 1.25 thread nut I got from HD

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #2  
I got both the SAE and Metric grease fitting kits at Harbor Freight and they have fit most things on the L3130 with a LA723 and a Bradco backhoe. Not sure what my loader cylinders have, most of the tractor is Metric and alot of the loader fittings were SAE. To make things worse they use both bolt thread pitches and pipe thread for different fittings and sometimes some of the metric are so close to SAE that it is easy to cross thread them.

Just went and checked the kit and it has several 8mm and they are 1.25 pitch, checked with my threading kit.

David Kb7uns

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #3  
I got an American assortment of grease zerks and a Mertic assortment from Harbor Freight about a year ago. So far, so good. They have had every one I have needed.

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #4  
M8x1.0 is the fine Metric and it is rare (at least in bolts). You should be happy is it M8x1.25. That should be something you can find... Pretty common metric thread size. M6 and M8 are pretty common sizes.

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #5  
Try these folks:

McMaster-Carr

Scroll down to next page link and click, the metric stuff is on that page.

Good luck

SimS

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #6  
Go to a local auto supply store (not a cheap chain operation) and they should have it. Napa is usually pretty good.

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #7  
Go to a local auto supply store (not a cheap chain operation) and they should have it. Napa is usually pretty good.

I found mine at NAPA also, dealer did not have and said "we buy them at NAPA"

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #8  
I only have an American set and no need for excess. The 5/16 screws into the 8 mm fine .. the threads interfere but grease fitting engagement is short so actually they bind up nicely as they seat ... if they bind too much too soon a little moly is all thats needed. 1/4" size crossover just takes a 1/4x28 plug tap run in a thread or 2 and alls well. Grease fittings arent rocket science.
larry

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #9  
got my metric assortment at Kragens and they always work in 40 and 50 L series tractors. (Kragens now called O'reillys). doesn't matter if you had straight thread, the tapered will just go in easier.

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #10  
Grease fittings arent rocket science.
larry

On this series Kubota loader some of them are extended by about a 1/2".

Those are a bit harder to find. The ones I got were a little short and that makes it tough to get the gun off as the zerk is recessed.