Cold starting and an L4610

/ Cold starting and an L4610 #1  

cmsedore

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HST
Since the weather's turned colder, my L4610 has started differently, and I'm feeling a little new owner paranoia.

When starting in colder weather (below 20 degrees), I noticed that I get more smoke during the first 15-20 seconds of run time. I've assumed this was normal as most diesels I've had do this. However, I've also noticed that not all the cylinders fire for the first 5-10 seconds it runs. The only time I had this experience was cold starts after a so-so rebuild on a Ford 1700. Before the rebuild, the 1700 would start up nice and even, afterward, it would take a few seconds for both cylinders to catch. Didn't like the kubota doing the same thing.

Does this sound like anyting to worry about? Or am I overly concerned about nothing?

Thanks for the collective wisdom!

-Chris

/ Cold starting and an L4610 #2  
<font color=blue>...not all the cylinders fire for the first 5-10 seconds it runs...</font color=blue>

I'm wondering how did you determine "all the cylinders don't fire"... and which cylinders are they...?

/ Cold starting and an L4610
I should have offered my "seat of the pants" diagnosis methods /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Well, here's what I would offer: with the 1700, it was obvious when one cylinder (of two) didn't fire or fire with much gusto, because of the way it started (not firing on the rotations it should) and it had a distinctive sound like that of an engine that is "missing".

The Kubota seems to make a similar sound (not quite the same, I assume because it has more cylinders), the engine behavior is similar (although for a shorter time, the Ford would do this for 8-10 seconds reliably, the Kubota only for a few usually).

I never checked which cylinder was the problem on the Ford, and I'm not sure how I'd check on the Kubota, though I might be able to measure the exhaust manifold temp immediately adjacent to each cylinder on/during startup (haven't checked the design to see if that would work or not).

Of course, it could be I'm way off base, too. Wouldn't be the first time /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

-Chris

/ Cold starting and an L4610 #4  
My 7300 has done it since it was new. Cold weather starts (below +20 F) it will smoke and run rough but usually after 3 to 5 seconds it smooths out and by 20 seconds stops smoking.

Try holding your preheat a few extra seconds. see if that helps.

/ Cold starting and an L4610 #5  
Until a indirect injection gets a little of its own heat generated, it will be different in running behavior then under normal temps, this also applys to direct injection but to a lesser extent. I think your worry is unjustified. If temps are quite low, consider running a synthetic oil at least for those months where temps are well below freezing, this includes the hydraulic fluid as well. My experience with low temps is very limited and at that its rarely below 20 degrees. My Ford IDI 7.3 sounds more like a bucket of bolts until the first minute goes by. Thats up at our cabin where the question of even getting the beast started can be an issue. Your L4610 is in my opinion normal. Start it, let it idle for a few minutes and then proceed in a lower gear while the whole thing warms up. Rat...

/ Cold starting and an L4610 #6  
Just to give you something to compare against, here's the story on cold starts with my L4610... admittedly our temps may be a bit milder here in NC than you're seeing up in your neighborhood, but we've been down in the low 20's a few times as well.

I get a short burst of smoke when the engine first lights off... maybe 1 second... smoke is maybe 1/2 sooty and 1/2 water vapor, then exhaust is clear. I always start with throttle at idle, but engine initially surges and immediately drops back to regular idle. There is a lot of clatter for maybe 20 seconds, but engine runs smoothly, so I figure it's just taking a few seconds for oil pressure to reach all the right spots.

Once the engine quiets down, I bring it up a few hundred RPM above idle and let it warm up for several minutes before putting any load on the drivetrain.

Compared with warm weather starting, there is a bit more smoke and clatter, but both go away quickly. How does that match up with what you are seeing?

Another thought... one of my bud's says his Ford tractor is more finicky using off-road diesel in the cold... so far I can't tell much difference.

/ Cold starting and an L4610
I hadn't thought about indirect injection.

Thanks to all who responded. It sounds like there is not anything to worry about. Granddad's experience is not far from mine, so I think I'll just file this under "new and expensive item paranoia"

I do have a block heater, but thus far, I've needed the tractor right quick when the time came--didn't have an hour for it to do its thing. I hope to be able to use the block heater when my schedule settles down a little (and the weather drops below zero).

-Chris