Plowing snow in Texas

/ Plowing snow in Texas #1  

NativeSon

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040SU 2010
For the last 2 months I have been reading here all about huge winter storms hitting the mid-west and the north east and all the discussions about snow plowing. Very informative stuff and a lot of different techniques being discussed. Well, it's a good thing I was paying attention. You see here in East Texas "Snow" is a spectator sport. We usually get an inch or two, once or twice a year and then it's gone the next day, so you have to look quick.

Well yesterday morning we woke up to 7 inches of beautiful powder. Who'd a thunk it. Only a day before they said we might get a inch or 2. Well that's Texas Weather for you. It's been below freezing for about 3 days now so this stuff will be around for a while.

Yehaw!!!!! We get to fire up the "Big Orange" and go plowing. We'll see how much work....Fun this is. What great seat time. In a short time I was getting better using the FEL and the box blade and the drive was cleared all the way to the road. After a short coffee break, no cab and it was cold(in the teens), and admiring my work I went back out to dress things up and put on the finishing touches. So I spent another hour or so just playing in the snow. What great fun!!!!

They say we might get some more.....I hope so. The Bota has always performed better than advertised, but in the snow it was unbelieveable. With a little more practice I think the next time we get this much snow I'll have to venture down to a couple of the neighbors and clear their roads just to keep busy. This was so much fun I'd do it for free, heck, I'll pay you to let me do it. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!:)

Ya'll stay warm.

Charlie:thumbsup:

/ Plowing snow in Texas #2  
I hear ya. They threatened us with 8" and then it just rained. I was hoping for a foot. It's 35 and raining out there now, just miserable weather. I'd prefer 10 degrees colder and snow.

Ian

/ Plowing snow in Texas #3  
So far this winter we're at about 87". There's no better seat time than moving snow.

Attachments

• 007 (Medium).jpg
    007 (Medium).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 020 (Medium).jpg
    020 (Medium).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 196
   / Plowing snow in Texas #4  
my tractor hasnt been cranked since we got the cold blast an snow.but that will change as the cows will need hay today or tomorrow.

/ Plowing snow in Texas
The wind died down and it got up to the 50's. Helped a neighbor put out hay yesterday. With all the snow still on the ground it's just a totally different look out in the pastures that we don't get to see too often. It's really pretty and I enjoy how snow makes things even quieter out here. So even putting out hay was great seat time.