Axle and diff oil

/ Axle and diff oil #1  

ole farmerbuck

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota M7040
Do the two front axle gear cases and the differential case share oil? In other words, if i drain all the oil from the 2 axle cases and pour oil in the differential without replacing drain plugs, will the diff oil run out of the drain holes?

/ Axle and diff oil #2  
If it is like mine then the answer is yes, it is a common case.
Your owners manual should tell you that, best to check with it to be sure.

/ Axle and diff oil
The reason i'm asking is the manual says to put 3.7qts in each axle case and 5.8qts in the diff. I dont understand why not just fill it at the diff hole till its full. I drained both sides today and cant get in the amount of oil the book calls for. I have about a qt or so left over.

/ Axle and diff oil #4  
Sounds like yours is a different arrangement than mine is. Does the manual show a third drain plug for the differential section?

/ Axle and diff oil #6  
No it doesnt.

on the m8540 there are three different drain plugs. look on the right side of the differential. on the back side toward the rear of the tractor. there should be a filling port, check plug, and drain plug. may be on the left side on the m7040.

/ Axle and diff oil #7  
It seems to take a while for the lube to work its way into the pinion housing on the axle ends. You may need to run it for a short distance or lift the front end and rotate the axle assemblies. Mine was the same way. I went back later and it took the extra quart to top it off.

/ Axle and diff oil
It seems to take a while for the lube to work its way into the pinion housing on the axle ends. You may need to run it for a short distance or lift the front end and rotate the axle assemblies. Mine was the same way. I went back later and it took the extra quart to top it off.
I think thats the trick. Got more in it today but still not what the book calls for. I'm going to check it each day for a few days just make sure. Thanks guys.

/ Axle and diff oil
on the m8540 there are three different drain plugs. look on the right side of the differential. on the back side toward the rear of the tractor. there should be a filling port, check plug, and drain plug. may be on the left side on the m7040.
Yea there is one drain at each wheel and thats it. Just a fill and a check plug on the differential.