Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #1  

cboudreau

Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I own a Kubota BX2360. I purchased it new in July, and have been generally pleased with it's performance. However, in October, I used the tractor for the first time "heavily". I didn't overdo it, but worked it continuously for a number of hours. After a few hours of work, I noticed a hydraulic leak in one of the lines on the tractor (in the rear, near the 3ph).

The leak originates at a fitting where a pre-formed steel line is connected to the "main body" of the tractor (on the left hand side if you are standing behind the tractor). This fitting or the line is cracks, causing hydraulic fluid to leak out...in fact, it sprays out due the pressure. The leak is quite significant. The dealer repaired the problem by replacing the line and fitting (as suggested by Kubota).

In December, I used the tractor again, for the first time significantly since repair. To give everyone an understanding of what I was doing (so no one accuses me of over-doing it), I was moving about 3 loads of fill.....the leak began about 4 hours after beginning work. Back to the dealer, and the problem was fixed again...same fix.

So last week, I was clearing our first big snow dump of the year, and the leak happened again. Needless to say, I was very displeased. The dealer picked up the tractor this time (at my suggestion), and reviewed this issue with Kubota. The only fix that Kubota recommends and will cover under warranty is the same one they've done twice already. The dealer tells me that he thinks the problem is with the quality of the steel line. It functions fine, then cracks under vibration after a period of time.

He thinks a high pressure rubber line would be a better solution, but Kubota will not cover it under warranty.

Any similar experiences, or advise?

Frustrating!!

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #2  
Two choices I see, keep making them repair it until they give you a solution, or shell out a few bucks of your own to fix their design flaw. Maybe the dealer, since he recognizes the problem could help you resolve it under warranty. Sometimes, ya just gotta bite the bullet.

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #3  
No way it's your fault if you are just doing loader work.

IMO dealer needs to check hydraulic pressure. If it were defective lines, every BX would be having the same leak, no?

Be careful around small leaks. It's rare, but if you get hit with a micro-stream of hydraulic fluid, it can cause a gangrenous wound.

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #4  
I think you have to start taking some action outside of dealer's efforts. There must be something else going on for three hard hydro lines to fail...that seems quite unusual.
A couple of suggestions: go to Kubota's website and fill out request form with all the details. Usually they'll respond within a week. Also, inquire at dealer for contact info of regional rep. along with any case# reference he may have used and explain situation and that this needs some other kind of resolution as current replacement of this part is apparently not fixing problem and as a result is unacceptable. You could also request regional rep. to meet you at the dealers.
The good news is you have quite a bit of time left on your warranty so you should be able to get this resolve to your satisfaction.

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #5  
Given that any self respecting tractor shop can fabricate hydraulic lines on site and the components are pretty inexpensive AND that you bought the tractor from him (I assume he represented it as a quality product from a quality company) IMHO the dealer should provide the new line that he feels will fix the issue. I know that he is under no legal obligation to do so but this falls under just plain old good customer service. In other words, in this case the dealer should "bite the bullet" on your behalf.
An example, I've owned PCs all of my life. My kids gave me an IPad for fathers day. Last fall I dropped it and bent the aluminum case in such a way that a couple of important buttons wouldn't work. I took it to the local Apple store told them my tale of woe and asked how much it would coat to have it repaired, they looked at it, told me it wasn't covered by warranty (I knew that) but they would replace it anyway since it was purchased from them and still pretty new. I had a new IPad the next day and my next computer will be an Apple purchased from that store.

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #6  
No way it's your fault if you are just doing loader work.

IMO dealer needs to check hydraulic pressure. If it were defective lines, every BX would be having the same leak, no?

Be careful around small leaks. It's rare, but if you get hit with a micro-stream of hydraulic fluid, it can cause a gangrenous wound.

Good advice....those lines should last enough to rust away before anything happens to them......

Checking pressures should be where the dealer started, otherwise you're only fixing the end result of the problem.....if they fabricated the tubing out of sub-standard materials then that's another issue and possible.....hyd tubing comes in varying wall thickness and Kubota should be using heavy enough tubing.....(Hopefully)......

Sometimes going outside the dealer may be your only option.....

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #7  
Given that any self respecting tractor shop can fabricate hydraulic lines on site and the components are pretty inexpensive

While components are inexpensive, the tools to fabricate and weld tubing is often not......

Most self respecting tractor shops in these parts don't have the equipment/materials to fabricate tubing in their shop,(never mind on the job-site).....or if any brazing/TIG welding is necessary...

Like anything else in this world you have to be set up to make custom stuff PDQ....

Maybe some good tractor shops can chime-in about their capabilities to fab/bend/weld hyd tubing assy's....Yes/No..??

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #8  
Very sedom the leak can not be resolved. Take a picture of area where leaking and use baby powder in that area to enhance source of leak. Then post on site.

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #9  
It sounds like they have a load of bad lines or need to rethink their clamping system. The BX tractors have had a similar set of lines for years but the new twist with the later models is placing the integrated loader valve under the control panel and now the two rigid mounted componets are setting up vibrations and placing metal fatigue on the componets where the older models just had clamps and then hoses for the final connection. Could even try a different RPM range if it cuts down on the vibration, mine runs alot smoother wide open. Keep up the pressure they need to find a fix.

David Kb7uns

/ Leaking Hydraulic Line - Same Repair 3 Times #10  
He thinks a high pressure rubber line would be a better solution, but Kubota will not cover it under warranty./QUOTE]

Go for the hydraulic hose. Save yourself a bunch of hassle.:D