3 pt hitch problem - followup

/ 3 pt hitch problem - followup #1  

NFPeterA

Tractor
Kubota B6200
This is a followup to my thread of 10 January 2011 regarding the 3 pt hitch on my B6200 HSTD 4WD machine. I reported back then that the 3 pt hitch was very slow to go up. The suggested fix was to clean the two hydraulic oil strainers on each side of the transmission, as previous owners may not have serviced them frequently, if at all. There are 3 hydraulic oil filters on these machines; the 2 tube-like, screen strainers one on each side + the white canister filter on the floor underneath the steering wheel.

I pulled the oil strainers out 2 days ago, and they were certainly dirty. The appended photos show both the left (fat) and right (skinny) strainers, either by themselves or along side a new strainer (which the local Kubota dealership gave me gratis).

Even after cleaning in kerosene with a toothbrush, soaking overnight in diesel fuel and blowing with compressed air, the left strainer still looked pretty dirty, in that I couldn't really see through it when holding it up to a bright light. When clean, the strainers should be transparent enough to allow one to see a bright light through the mesh as well as the metal coil that runs through the strainer. Therefore, I replaced the left strainer with the new one.

Filled up the transmission with 13.5 litres of oil, and started up the machine. Presto! The 3 pt hitch now works like a charm.

Thanks to "Service Department Vic" at OrangeTractorTalks.com for the advice about how to solve this problem. Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 179
   / 3 pt hitch problem - followup
A couple of other points in relation to servicing the B6200 hydraulic oil strainers.

1. After a couple of minutes of operation, and with just the engine running (no use of FEL or 3 pt hitch), some creamy white hydraulic fluid started pouring out of the top of the transmission under the seat. See appended photos. About 1/2 litre came out and then it stopped. I guess there's a pressure relief value on top of the transmission. I'm told that the Kubota spec of 13.5 litres of hydraulic fluid is for a "dry" transmission. However, when you do an oil change, there's always a little bit left in the transmission. So if you add 13.5 litres, you'll blow the excess out of the relief valve. The fact that it was a creamy colour says that there's some water condensation in the system. The fix is to replace the oil on a hot day next summer.

2. I found small metal filings on the strainer screens when I pulled them. According to Vic at OrangeTractorTalks.com, the "filings are pretty common, mostly manufacturing 'flash' and the odd bit of byproduct of gear knashing that occurs when failing to completely stop the tractor before changing gears or direction. "

Attachments

• IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    904.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 298
   / 3 pt hitch problem - followup #3  
I am surprised that after putting in 13.5 l of new fluid you would have enough water in it to turn it that white. Was the fluid you drained the same color? I am wondering if it was just air/foam from the fluid being replaced and a little over filled.

Just a thought.

/ 3 pt hitch problem - followup
The fluid that I drained from the machine looked like normal hydraulic oil. As for the liquid that came out of the relief valve on the transmission, it too looked like normal oil after a few minutes of sitting in the measuring cup. It certainly looked foamy white when escaping from the relief valve as you can see in the photos I posted.

There may be only a little H2O in the system as a result of condensation. I had left the 3 drain plugs open over night at about -14 to -16 deg. C so maybe moisture entered the system that way (or by some other means prior to my purchase of the machine). In any event, I'll replace the oil again next summer. Won't be using the machine much until the snow is gone and the frost is out of the ground. Thanks for your reply. Peter