Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Sorry*?I use this with my BX2360 didn't see a better forum for posting...

I "engulfed" a sizeable rock and bent one turbine blade. Interested in removing it to see if it is repairable. Does anyone know how to get it off the shaft (I have removed the nut), and also does anyone know how much replacement turbines run? I"ll probably call Palmor today at some point.

Thanks.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #2  
Sorry*?I use this with my BX2360 didn't see a better forum for posting...

I "engulfed" a sizeable rock and bent one turbine blade. Interested in removing it to see if it is repairable. Does anyone know how to get it off the shaft (I have removed the nut), and also does anyone know how much replacement turbines run? I"ll probably call Palmor today at some point.

Thanks.

I will assume you have the impeller fully
exposed and the housing surronding the
impeller removed.

Be sure to inspect it for any set screws that may
be set in the impeller collar (the tube the paddles are welded to)
and may be painted over first.

The impeller is most likely siezed on the shaft
and will require a pair of pry bars to remove it.
I sincerely hope you have room to use the pry
bars to push the impeller up.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #3  
There are two Allen set screws at 90 degrees to each other on mine that lock the impeller onto the motor shaft besides the cap bolt. You might find that the Allen heads are filled with crud so pick them out before trying to insert a wrench. I've used blocks of wood and two pry bars to coax the impeller off once the screws are backed off. The wood will keep you from wrecking the crankcase.

The blades are just soft steel and can be straightened using a vise to hold the opposite blade and a pipe or Crescent wrench to bend the other one back into position.

I run a few bricks thru mine every so often.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #4  
in the past you usually end up cutting it and getting a new one! done it three times on our units. Not a cheap thing.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #5  
Can't help with removal but I've had a steel impeller on my Wheel Horse vac bagger unit bent back and balanced by a machine shop fo $50. Get an estimate before you buy a new one.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal
Thanks for the replies. I used a gear puller to get the wheel off and now it's down the street at the shop I use for all my auto work being straightened out.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal
I got the impeller back - $20.00 to straighten ALL needed areas and place new welds where needed. It's nice, in this day and time, to FIX something vs. run out and buy another. I'm not sure it's perfectly balanced... will have to check my reinstallation later this afternoon.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #8  
Good deal. You made out well for only $20 bucks. I don't think mine was perfectly balanced either, but it was better than I could do with the impeller clamped in my vise.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #9  
snpower, I just received a gift from my neighbor: an old Trac Vac that does not run; he says he's been using it for over 30 years. The rig is pretty solid, and I think worth trying to get back into service.

The motor may not be the original, but it's old, too -- a 5HP (206cc) Briggs and Stratton. I think it may have thrown a rod, because it has 0 compression.

Anyway, I would like to get the engine off and either rebuild or replace it, and I'm stuck at the the impeller blade, just as you were. I bought a 2/3-way gear puller, but can't get enough 'bite' on the pawls at the pull points. What kind of puller did you use? I will have to get the impeller serviced as well, since it has a bent blade.

I will pull this behind my Cub Cadet once it's fixed.

Thanks.

/ Trac Vac 560 Turbine Removal #10  
snpower, I just received a gift from my neighbor: an old Trac Vac that does not run; he says he's been using it for over 30 years. The rig is pretty solid, and I think worth trying to get back into service.

The motor may not be the original, but it's old, too -- a 5HP (206cc) Briggs and Stratton. I think it may have thrown a rod, because it has 0 compression.

Anyway, I would like to get the engine off and either rebuild or replace it, and I'm stuck at the the impeller blade, just as you were. I bought a 2/3-way gear puller, but can't get enough 'bite' on the pawls at the pull points. What kind of puller did you use? I will have to get the impeller serviced as well, since it has a bent blade.

I will pull this behind my Cub Cadet once it's fixed.

Thanks.