BX break in period

/ BX break in period #1  

Haywire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless :(
The manual says not to run full throttle for 50 hours. I've got 20 on it now and have been running it at 2-2200rpms. I'm using the loader to move heavy wet dirt. I figured the bucket would have the same power at the lower throttle setting and would just move slower due to the lower pump volume.

Wrong. I bumped it up to full throttle (3400) for one go and it had a lot more power. It curled and lifted with a lot more authority.

I guess my question is when did you fellows start running yours at full throttle? If the general consensus is that it's ok, and the manual is just over cautious and over lawyered, I'm going to finish the job at full power.

Ian

Edit... I seem to recall asking this Q once before, but can't find it. Hmmm.

/ BX break in period #2  
I very very rarely have any occasion to run my L3400 at full throttle, maybe BX is different.

/ BX break in period #3  
I don't have a BX, but on my GC I run mine at full throttle occasionally. I only have 38 hrs. Dealer told me run it like you will use it. That is what I am doing.

/ BX break in period #4  
The manual says not to run full throttle for 50 hours. I've got 20 on it now and have been running it at 2-2200rpms. I'm using the loader to move heavy wet dirt. I figured the bucket would have the same power at the lower throttle setting and would just move slower due to the lower pump volume.

Wrong. I bumped it up to full throttle (3400) for one go and it had a lot more power. It curled and lifted with a lot more authority.

I guess my question is when did you fellows start running yours at full throttle? If the general consensus is that it's ok, and the manual is just over cautious and over lawyered, I'm going to finish the job at full power.

Ian

I have run mine at full throttle right from the get go. Not all the time of course but if I needed full throttle I used it.
Just for interest any new tractor or truck I have purchased they all recommend after the initial 2 hr run in to go out and work it but not lug it. None of the large engine manufacturers say anything about not working or using full throttle. Engines need heat and pressure to seat the rings.
My advice...use it the way you need to. Need full throttle...use it.

/ BX break in period #5  
I have broken in a BX2200 and BX2660. I did not run either "at full throttle", but I did run them pretty close at 2600-2900. I varied the throttle from time to time. Neither seem to have suffered. My 03 is now my son in law's and running strong in spite of a lot of hard use.

Essentially, aside from varying engine speeds, I didn't run them very much different than after they were broken in as I mow at 2900-3000 now.

Here is my 03 taken a couple of days ago.

/ BX break in period #6  
same here- I haven't run at full throttle from get go- Only time I did was to get the 1 min much needed full power for a couple projects, then backed down speed after that. Just be sure you do the 50 hr oil change when it comees up, and you should get long life out of engine. Mine is over 500hrs now and no issues yet and expecting another 500 with no issues. I am taking it 500 hours at a time how things go with it. good luck! :thumbsup:

/ BX break in period #7  

I went by what was in the manual, because I figured that those who designed the engine had a reason to put that in there. Their reason very well might have been just that their warranty accountants instructed them to do so, but I figured it was in my best interests to heed the warning, regardless.

I don't think I've ever run my BX at full throttle, and I have about 420 hours on it. The highest I ever run it is 2800, I'd say. I might have run it higher when I took a road trip on it last summer, but that'd be it.

/ BX break in period #8  
I don't have a BX, but I took it easy on my B7610 for a few hours and then just used it as I need it. I run at full throttle most of the time I'm working so full power is available. I run at reduced throttle when just driving around from one spot to another. I also occasionally run at reduced throttle when I want the hydraulics to move slower for more precision when full power is not needed.

The machine runs flawlessly. The only problem I have had was blowing the seal on the water pump. I neglected to keep the screen in front of the radiator clean while mowing tall grass and let the machine overheat. Completely my fault and the dealer fixed it under warranty. Didn't do any permanent damage and I learned my lesson.

/ BX break in period #9  
I broke in a BX1860 and am breaking in a B2320 which is the same D1005 found in the BX2660, though it turns slightly lower RPM.

As TripleR said, vary the RPM every 15 or 20 minutes, and don't lug or baby the engine. I was fortunate to be able to plow with a middle buster, which makes the engine pull and work, which is the best way to break one in.

On the BX I didn't go over 3000 and on the B, I won't go over 2800 during the first 50 hours. Frankly, I never found a reason to do so anyhow.

But lugging does it no favors. Use it. Put it to work on a some variety of tasks and it gets broken in amidst real world activities.

/ BX break in period
thanks... I think I'll bump it up to 2700 when I get out there next and finish up there. It started raining since I started this post, so I guess I'll have to wait. Bah.

Ian