Bx 23 front axle leaking oil

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #1  

twinsticks

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 BX 23
Anyone ever had this problem bx 23 has 260 easy hours .. What is involved with fixing it .. It has to be a seal leaking..

Attachments

• image-1124779933.jpg
    image-1124779933.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 2,937
  • image-3542705213.jpg
    image-3542705213.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3,748
  • image-45484218.png
    image-45484218.png
    435.2 KB · Views: 1,918
   / Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #2  
twinsticks:

Do a search for this issue, and you will find numerous posts.
I have a BX2200 with likely the same axle set-up, and had the same leak.
Before taking things apart, Kubota reccomends if you are using SUDT fluid, to change to 80-90w gear oil, and see if that stops the leak.
I believe that an "o" ring seals the lower axle pivot point, which appears to be the source of the leak.
Another case of an inexpensive part (O ring) but an semi-expensive repair due to the labor involved to change it.

Good Luck:

WALT

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #3  
Or it could have a crack like I had in both of mine. First attempt was o-ring and when that didn't work they pulled them apart and really checked it out and found them both were cracked.

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #4  
I have the same leak when I lifter the front end up and felt the joint there was more slop in the leaker than the other side.

I will be switching to 90 wt as soon as I get a chance.

In the summer I will be tearing it down to replace the seal.

tom

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #5  
Or it could have a crack like I had in both of mine. First attempt was o-ring and when that didn't work they pulled them apart and really checked it out and found them both were cracked.

they are all the same mine did that too change the 2 seal

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil
Okay I will try gear oil, what which brand would you use.

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #7  
twinsticks:

I used whatever Tractor Supply had in the 1 QT. bottle. It may have been Valvoline 80-90w.
I don't think Kubota spec'd a certain brand.
The front axle is similar to a attachment gear box, in that the oil selected is not as critical as a motor oil or hydraulic fluid would be, to my way of thinking.
Let the opposing opinions commence.

WALT

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #8  
If mine were leaking that bad, I would put 140 Wt. in it, park it on card board to keep the oil off of the floor, and just keep it checked and full.

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #9  
If mine were leaking that bad, I would put 140 Wt. in it, park it on card board to keep the oil off of the floor, and just keep it checked and full.

If mine were leaking like that I would put a seal in it and be done with it! I done my B and it is not much of a job, less than $50.00

It may also be cracked as noted above, in that case I would want it replaced so I did not have failure later on.

/ Bx 23 front axle leaking oil #10  
One thing to remember, if you are not going to change the seal, if oil can leak out, water will get in.