Ballast Rear loaded tires

/ Rear loaded tires #1  

cubowner

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I just recently purchased a Kubota BX24 Tractor Loader Backhoe. I explained to the dealer that I want to sometimes use the loader on the machine without the backhoe. Using the loader without the backhoe is not a issue But my question is the rear tires are loaded and the dealer is telling me that having the tires loaded is enough ballast to use the front end loader without any other form of ballast. I beleive I need a ballast box but the dealer says differently. Any input please help.

/ Rear loaded tires #2  
Having the tires filled will make the loader good for most applications. I added a ballast box this year after using my tractor three years with out one. It makes the loader work go much faster.

/ Rear loaded tires #3  
I have a similar size machine and I had the same concern. Against dealer suggestions I had him order a ballast box. By the time it came in I had decided I did not need it after all, the dealer was right. Loaded tires are enough most of the time. And when you are going to be maxing out the loader and need more then install the back hoe. But for 90% of loader work with these little machines, the loaded tires are enough. Use 4wd when on slopes.

I suggest you wait a little while, use the machine as is. Get a few hours of loaded work as is. If after a while you still feel you want then box then by all means. I suspect however you won't end up needing it.

/ Rear loaded tires #4  
I can use my BX2660 with weighted rear tires, but I get better overall performance with something on the 3-point hitch too.

Last edited:
   / Rear loaded tires #5  
The ballast box or heavy implement on the three point also takes some weight off the front axle, which is a good thing, something loaded tires don't do. I use both the box and loaded tires.

/ Rear loaded tires #6  
I was going to get my tires loaded and the salesman that I bought the tractor at just didn't seem like he really cared for loaded tires. I asked him about that and his opinion was once the tires are loaded, you can't remove that weight where a ballast box you can. He felt it was allot of added stress to the machine seeing as the weight is there all the time. I also thought about having to remove a loaded tire. It would weigh so much. I do like the convince of loaded tires though, but never got them done. i may make my own ballast box for when the hoe is off.

/ Rear loaded tires #7  
Ok I will throw my 2 cents in. I have both loaded tires and a ballast box, here is why. I have 750 lbs on the 3pt. and with the loaded tires, it is about right to counterbalance what the loader will do. Now when I mow, on these extreme slopes we have around here I feel much better with the loaded tires, as it is a lot less tippy. I am not saying this is what everyone should do, but it is the right thing for me and my circumstances. As an another example, I keep the FEL on for when I mow, and back down some of these horrid slopes I need the weight in the front end to get back up with the mower on. Sure, a set of weights on the front would work, but I dont have any. Besides the FEL comes in handy while running the rotary cutter to push over brush and feel for rocks. Now if I was mowing on flatter better ground, then the FEL would be off for sure while mowing. What I would do is put on the ballast box, and see how things went, and if it was still tippy in the operations you want to do, then load the tires, That way you have not done anything (semi) permanent and can figure out how you should proceed.

James K0UA

/ Rear loaded tires #8  
I'm not sure how loaded tires or wheel weights add a lot if stress on the tractor. The additional weight isn't "on the tractor" it's on the ground so there is no additional down pressure on the bearings. I'm sure there is some additional bearing stress when you start moving, when going up hill, breaking, etc but nowhere near as much as a loaded tph putting ALL the additional weight down on the rear bearings. IMHO I'd go with loaded tires for convenience, manuverability and less stress overall.

/ Rear loaded tires #9  
I have always used loaded tires. Any extra weight required is usually met easily by my arse in the seat!