L2185 Snow Blower Works!

/ L2185 Snow Blower Works! #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
I just wanted to update everyone who offered advice and assistance on installing a used L2185 72 snow blower on a L3130HST tractor.

In a word the blower is awesome! After going in reverse for many years it is really nice snow blowing moving forward. The hydraulic chute rotation and electric chute deflector seemed like overkill at first, but they are really nice to have. Pushing the control lever left past the detent to rotate the chute still seems odd, but I知 getting use to it.

The shortened fixed drive shaft (off a L4330) seems to be running smoothly and doesn稚 have any unusual dynamics. Hopefully it will stay this way.

Finding a used snow blower in January for a Grand L30 was a bit tough. This was further complicated by the fact that Kubota did not offer the 72 on the smaller frame GL30痴 for the 1st few years limiting the availability further. Finding a 62 blower (L2174A) was much easier, but did not cover my tracks. After many internet searches and phone calls I found a good price on a complete snow blower assembly. Unfortunately it was located in WI and I知 located in PA. I was a bit nervous about buying something over the phone and email. Sometimes you get a good feeling about the people on the other end and I trusted them, so we struck a deal to have it trucked to my house. I did feel bad about it being an estate sale. Hopefully the original owner is looking down and happy to see someone else putting it to work.

The snow blower arrived in a middle of a snow/ice storm package in a crate measuring 4 x 8 and about 4' in height. Getting it off the truck was a bit tricky since it could not be turned to get it on the lift gate. We had to lower it long ways by balancing it between the tractor and truck lift gate. Thank goodness for the forks I bought two days earlier! Hats off to the Kubota dealer who verified everything worked prior to crating and doing a fantastic job labeling all the bolts and putting them in separate zip-lock bags. Every part was accounted for down to the smallest cotter pin.

My tractor did not have the mid PTO, so they sold me the one off the tractor the blower came off of. Installing the mid PTO was very straight forward.

A few of the forum members went beyond the norm to help me with detailed photos and instructions about how to setup the sub frame. Thanks again guys!!!

This past Monday was the first snow fall (6-8? since getting everything installed.. After 2.5 hours of use I知 very pleased with it and very glad I went with the larger blower. The local dealer said the 72 would not work and recommended the smaller unit. After getting feedback from other forum members with similar setups and doing other research, I was very comfortable going with the larger unit despite the dealer痴 opinion.
If anyone else with a L3x30 is considering the bigger L2185 versus L2174A, I say go for it. If you are looking for used do not shy away from blowers off the larger L4x30 tractors. Everything is the same except for the mid fixed driveshaft. This is the shaft from the mid PTO to the sub frame. One can be purchased from Kubota for $255 or it can be shortened if you have the equipment. [fixed driveshaft assembly is $255 while the shaft alone can be purchased for $150 if you want to disassemble the u-joints]

Any way, I just wanted to say thanks for those who provide assistance along the way.

I like the snow blower, but anxious for spring to arrive!

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_5474.jpg
    IMG_5474.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 1,832
Last edited:
   / L2185 Snow Blower Works!
In the event someone uses this thread for future reference...

The chute deflection switch was mounted in the PTO panel to the right of the seat. An available slot was used to mount the switch. Reference attached photo.

On the front of the tractor a 4 pin metal trailer connector was used along with a coiled wire to the chute deflector motor. The Quick Hitch part that stays on the tractor is drilled and tapped to accept the bracket for the metal wire connector. Reference Photo below.

Attachments

• Chute Switch Location.jpg
    Chute Switch Location.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 624
  • Chute Connector and Wire.jpg
    Chute Connector and Wire.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 656
   / L2185 Snow Blower Works! #3  
Those are nice blowers!!!

They work well just be sure to service the shear bolt joints and be sure they are not rusted tight.

Since the blower was partially disassembled for shipment, I went ahead and seviced everything including removing the shear pins and applied a small amount of grease to them.

Since the blower was used are the shear bolts anything special? They just had common bolts in them now, but do not remember the grade off hand. ie: do the recommended shear pins have a groove cut in them?

I was really impressed with how thick the metal was on everything.

/ L2185 Snow Blower Works! #5  
Since the blower was partially disassembled for shipment, I went ahead and seviced everything including removing the shear pins and applied a small amount of grease to them.

Since the blower was used are the shear bolts anything special? They just had common bolts in them now, but do not remember the grade off hand. ie: do the recommended shear pins have a groove cut in them?

I was really impressed with how thick the metal was on everything.

I think they are just grade 5, no notches. I got some from the dealer when I got it but have only had to use one in the past 3 years.

/ L2185 Snow Blower Works! #7  
Most shears pins are grade 2 (no hash marks on the bolt head). 3 marks is a grade 5 and 5 marks is a grade 8. I'd make sure you use the right grade, otherwise you defeat the purpose of a shear pin. While I've never sheared a pin on my snowblower, I go through them regualarly on my post hole digger!

/ L2185 Snow Blower Works! #8  
Most shears pins are grade 2 (no hash marks on the bolt head). 3 marks is a grade 5 and 5 marks is a grade 8. I'd make sure you use the right grade, otherwise you defeat the purpose of a shear pin. While

The Kubota manual says "gr 5"

Not all shear pins are grade 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevinj,

Thanks for clarifying the bolt grade. I checked earlier and the shear pins currently on the blower are grade 5. They are the same size and grade used on the previous rear snow blower I had, so I have a few spares available.

Thanks for all your help!

/ L2185 Snow Blower Works! #10  
Hi, Moship,

Was looking at your pictures and noticed you have a loader mount installed along with the blower sub-frame. I have a Kubota L5030. I didn't know you could have the snow blower sub-frame and the loader frame on at the same time. Is there anything special you have to do to drop the blower and mount the loader?