Ballast BX2360 Ballast options and total weight

/ BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #1  

azzip

Hello all -

After almost tipping my new BX2360 on a grade with a slight bucket full of material, I have acknowledged the need for a good ballast. I was considering ballasting the tires, but have decided against that, as I would like the option to drop the ballast for mowing, seeing as my yard has several rather moist area when I mow. I have read that I can use a 55 gallon barrel and some concrete. My idea is to use something (length of steel, some sort of top link adapter, whatever is cheaper) for toplink and a drawbar inserted through barrel at a couple of inches higher than the lowest point my lift arms go for the bottom links. I figure that I will have to cut down the barrel, and round the edge, make a bit of a tool carrier by leaving some steel above the line the concrete goes. Paint the whole thing Kubota orange, to prevent some rust out of the barrel (match!).

My biggest question is - how big should I make it for the Bx2360. The manual states that at the link ends the lift is 550kg, or 1210lbs. I was thinking to shoot for somewhere between 300-500lbs for the ballast. Anyone with experience with this tractor have any suggestions? Also any good suggestions for making the ballast?

Thanks!

/ BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #2  
What kind of implements do you have for the back? I put my box blade on.

Ian

/ BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #3  
I have wheel weights on my BX2660 and still put my BB on the back. Without the wheel weights, I would want three to five hundred pounds on the 3-point.

Last edited:
   / BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #4  
My biggest question is - how big should I make it for the Bx2360. The manual states that at the link ends the lift is 550kg, or 1210lbs. I was thinking to shoot for somewhere between 300-500lbs for the ballast. Anyone with experience with this tractor have any suggestions? Also any good suggestions for making the ballast?

Thanks!

Your loader manual should have some information on ballasting. That would be the first thing to review.
My ballast is about 600 lbs (sand, in a ballast box). That's the minimum I would suggest for your tractor.

/ BX2360 Ballast options and total weight
I found that page in the manual. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize that I was missing that page - the manual for my FEL got wet before I took delivery of the tractor, but I thought I managed to get all the pages unstuck - I didn't. Found the info on that page.

Anyways, it says 420lbs for ballast weight, I may shoot for about this seeing as I will add a cheaper quick hitch (Harbor Freight) that weighs about 60lbs, bringing me pretty close to 500lbs total weight.

I don't have any implements yet, I will (hopefully) be adding a box blade soon, but need to ballast closer to now, and I would prefer a compact ballast option as well. I may also grab a carryall, and just set up ballast on that, and its more useful, carrying items, and maybe even building a custom boom sprayer.

Thanks for the help!

/ BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #6  
Sorry about the phone pic... but this ammo box cost me $15 at a flea market and it holds about 300lbs of lead in the form of wheel weights that I melted down and poured into forms.

It would be compact weight for you if you rigged a way to attach it to your 3ph. It's just sitting there btw, I set it up there yesterday for a test, but that little strap isn't going to do the job.

Ian

Attachments

• ammo box.jpg
    ammo box.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 470
   / BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #7  
You should still load your tires IMO. A couple moist spots in your yard shouldn't be an issue. My scut recommends loaded tires and ballast weight. If I'm just moving a few loads here and there I don't use rear ballast, but for long jobs it's essential.
Not to mention it handles far better. It's a completely different machine when properly ballasted.

Operating your bx the way you are currently isn稚 only dangerous, but I would think not good for the front axle.

/ BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #8  
I have foam filled tires as well as wheel weights. between foam and weights four hunderd pounds. but I can put six hundred pound on the forks and not have a problem. the rear end does get light. but if I need ballast I can added more to the 3 pt hitch.
so the better you balance your tractor the safer it will be and less pucker time.

Attachments

• forks and rear plow.jpg
    forks and rear plow.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 621
   / BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #9  
I understand your not wanting the weight on the tractor all the time but the good thing about liquid filled tires on the rear is the weight is about as low to the ground as possible. That makes things much more stable.

/ BX2360 Ballast options and total weight #10  
Looked in my manual and it recommended 420lbs of ballast. My box blade is probably only about half that. It's light duty and the box is shorter front to back than a normal HD one. My tires are loaded though, so that helps.

Ian