L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #1  

KPotts

Is it necessary to depress the clutch pedal before engaging the the 4WD on a L3400 HST? Second question is can you take the tractor in or out of 4WD while moving? I always stopped with my BX but was not sure.
Thanks

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #2  
Is it necessary to depress the clutch pedal before engaging the the 4WD on a L3400 HST? Second question is can you take the tractor in or out of 4WD while moving? I always stopped with my BX but was not sure.
Thanks

First question, NO you dont need to press the clutch, unless you are spinning the wheels.

Second, it is probabally advised in the manual to STOP before engaging and disengaging, but you dont have to. Since you arent changing gearing, just make sure you arent spinning when you engage. But if you are just driving/coasting along and the front wheels and back wheels are turning the same speed, no harm will be caused.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #3  
First question, NO you dont need to press the clutch, unless you are spinning the wheels.

Second, it is probabally advised in the manual to STOP before engaging and disengaging, but you dont have to. Since you arent changing gearing, just make sure you arent spinning when you engage. But if you are just driving/coasting along and the front wheels and back wheels are turning the same speed, no harm will be caused.

WRONG......You must be completely stopped and you must depress the clutch when shifting from 2 to 4 wheel drive and from 4 to 2 wheel drive. You might be referring to the differential lock in which case clutch does not have to be used nor does tractor have to be stopped.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #4  
firefighter jim said:
WRONG......You must be completely stopped and you must depress the clutch when shifting from 2 to 4 wheel drive and from 4 to 2 wheel drive. You might be referring to the differential lock in which case clutch does not have to be used nor does tractor have to be stopped.

I agree.. And that its what the dealer said..

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #5  
Well, I guess I didn't see the HST part. Which I have never operated one.

So...unless things in this aspect are different from a HST to a gear tractor?????

But on a gear tractor, You DONT neet to press the clutch and you DONT need to be stopped. Same as a typical 4wd truck. going from 4hi to 2hi and vice versa.

So I apologize if I gave bad advice, as it pertains to HST. I was speaking as if it were a gear.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #6  
According to the manual, the tractor must be stopped and the clutch depressed to engage 4wd.

Having said that, I've disengaged 4wd while still rolling, but always with clutch pressed down. Mine isn't HST, but the manual is the same for both models. Coming out of mesh while things are moving shouldn't damage anything, as long as there's no load on the gears at the time.

Interesting side note, if you have a hard time engaging or disengaging 4wd, try turning the steering wheel at the same time. It works.

Sean

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #7  
my kioti manual says to be stopped when engaging the 4wd switch. i dont see why you need to either, but i will follow the instructions. i dont need to with my trucks? kind of weird.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #8  
my kioti HST manual says to be stopped when engaging the 4wd switch. i dont see why you need to either, but i will follow the instructions. i dont need to with my trucks? kind of weird.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #9  
From the Manual:

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #10  
From the Manual:

I wonder if that is the same for the gear tractors?

Personally, I see no point in doing so. There have been a few times I have pulled out onto the road and forget that I am in 4wd. Just a sharp stomp with the left heel to disengage.

There have been other times when I am approaching unfavorable conditions for 2wd (like a hill or Ice), and just a sharp pull to engage.

But I think the bug key is to NOT be spinning the wheels and NOT be in the process of turning. But if all 4 wheels are turning the same speed, and you are going straight, I dont see what harm can be caused. And there ISNT a neutral position either.

I think it is probabally a "cover their @$$" mentality