Log splitter question ?

/ Log splitter question ? #1  

thetooth

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota b7500 , Kubota Bx1850
I have a B7500 and would like to purchase a 3ph log splitter . Is it possible to run the log splitter off the valve block for the FEL ( with the FEL hose disconnected ) and use the FEL control arm to run the splitter ? Or do you need to plumb for a rear remote with a single acting valve ?

Thanks

/ Log splitter question ? #2  
I have a B7500 and would like to purchase a 3ph log splitter . Is it possible to run the log splitter off the valve block for the FEL ( with the FEL hose disconnected ) and use the FEL control arm to run the splitter ? Or do you need to plumb for a rear remote with a single acting valve ?

Thanks

You could probably due either. The issue is the flow rate through that system to the splitter will be okay but not great. It will cycle considerably slower than a normal splitter. You can get a PTO hydraulic pump to compensate but then you are talking quite a bit more money. How many cords do you plan to split? I have had a PTO splitter and several independently powered ones and would not do the PTO rig for more than 2 or 3 cords a year. Above that I would be getting an independent rig.

/ Log splitter question ?
I only split 1 to 2 cords a year . I am ok with it being slow just wasn't sure if it was possible to run off the FEL valve block . If I had to install rear remotes I think it would be a better buy to purchase a stand alone unit .

thanks

/ Log splitter question ? #4  
One to two cords per year.....thats maul work if you can physically do it!

Don't waste your money, those 3pt units are junk in my opinion!

Craig

/ Log splitter question ? #5  
I only split 1 to 2 cords a year . I am ok with it being slow just wasn't sure if it was possible to run off the FEL valve block . If I had to install rear remotes I think it would be a better buy to purchase a stand alone unit .

thanks

The pump of the FEL will be not make it worth your trouble for the fittings, valves and lines. Renting a unit for that amount would make more sense to me. You would be easily be into the whole rig for 800.00 to a grand by the time it is all said and done if you include the cost of a splitter. A 50.00 to 100.00 rental fee each year to rent a splitter would make more sense to me. It would take you 10 to 15 years at that rate to break even relatively speaking.

/ Log splitter question ? #6  
Best option would be to run a power beyond loop to the rear of the tractor to power the splitter. It's the same you would do to power a backhoe. It would be possible to power a splitter off of your loader valve, but you'd have to bungee, or otherwise hold the valve open to send hydraulic pressure to the splitter valve....... just not the best option.

/ Log splitter question ? #7  
We shouldn't discourage anyone from buying equipment that they may not be able to justify...that is his wife's job. :) For hydraulic connection questions you should talk to Supermember kennyd. He got me pointed in the right direction. For a splitter, check out the Split-fire splitters. They have are dual action for splitting twice as quickly/efficiently. I generally do a cord per hour with a helper.

/ Log splitter question ?
Thanks for the tips . After a weekend of splitting wood and a sore shoulder I figured I wood :D ask .

I think I will keep my wedges and splitting maul sharp :thumbsup:

thanks

/ Log splitter question ? #9  
i love my wood splitter. built it myself for a couple of hundred bucks. i installed a power beyond system on the tractor for other reasons though. i wanted a hydraulic swivel for my snowblower.

that was a must . so, since i had the remote in the back, why not a wood splitter. its so much nicer to split wood when i want to, not when i have to to get the unit back to the rental yard. i hate splitting wood, but this makes it bearable.

as far as using the FEL levers to run the splitter? im confused. you need a control lever down at the area your working. not up by the seat. personally id add the power beyond/rear remotes. youll thank me later.:D :laughing: :thumbsup:

i can split wood faster than the wife can get it stacked. so just because some people think there too slow, it all depends on how truly lazy you want to be.:drink:

Attachments

• _MG_4727.jpg
    _MG_4727.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 243
  • _MG_4733.jpg
    _MG_4733.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 326
  • _MG_4728.jpg
    _MG_4728.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 242
   / Log splitter question ? #10  
My splitter is similar to grsthegreat's, originally built it for my JD 520 for $200. When I added the new hoses & control valve to use it on my JD 790, I spent another couple hundred. Can't get the power beyond kit anymore, so I just use long hoses & hook the the loader bucket connections, tie off the joy stick & use the control valve on the splitter. Slow, yes, but so am I! :D I'm not in any big hurry & work by myself anyway. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• HPIM1883 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM1883 - Copy.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 200
  • HPIM1882 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM1882 - Copy.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 196