L48 wider stance for stability

/ L48 wider stance for stability #1  

jchealey

Tractor
Kubota L48
Group,
What is the easiest way to make the tires wider so I get more stability on the hills around my house?
I used to have an older l245 and the previous owner reversed the tires to make it wider.

Jerry

/ L48 wider stance for stability #2  
Group,
What is the easiest way to make the tires wider so I get more stability on the hills around my house?
I used to have an older l245 and the previous owner reversed the tires to make it wider.

Jerry

With those I believe fixed rims, you will need to find out if someone makes axle spacers.

/ L48 wider stance for stability #3  
Riverside Tractor in Vermont for spacers

/ L48 wider stance for stability #4  
I bought my L275 DT 7 years ago with rear tires set to a narrow width because it was used in a nursery. I had loader added before taking delivery and it was downright scarey. My trails have lots of side hills so it was bad even without loader work.

Rather than mess with the heavy fluid-filled tires and likely very stiff bolts, I got the local tire shop to come with a service truck and make the change which involved adjusting the two piece rims as well as remounting the rims to the widest setting on the wheel.

The improvement in stability and safety was dramatic.

I've just purchased a Kioti DK35 with industrial tires and asked the dealer to set them at the widest width. I was surprised to find the DK35 just has a single piece rim and thus is not adjustable. DK40 and above have two-piece rims. The assures me it will be stable, but I intend to do lots of testing just to make sure. If it doesn't feel right I will switch to AG tires which have adjustable rims.

With those I believe fixed rims, you will need to find out if someone makes axle spacers.

I have attached my post from similar thread.

Are the L245 rims 2 piece or one? The reason I ask is my manual for the L235 and L275 (but does not mention the L245) shows the L275 rear tires as 11.2-24--the same size as those listed for the L245 on tractordata.com. The L235 in my manual shows 9.5-24 for the rear tires.

So if the rims are two piece like my L275 you should be able to gain appreciable width by adjusting the rims.

/ L48 wider stance for stability #5  
By the way....I wasn't aware of axle extensions. If I do have problems as mentioned in my quoted post above it may be one option to correct it. However I do think my new tractor will be stable with the wider and lower profile industrial tires.

Thanks for the tip on axle extensions.

/ L48 wider stance for stability
The tractor I have now is an L48 and the lifting capacity is high enough that I have lifted a rear tire on occasion. So that is why I want to widen the tires. I tried to lift 24 sacks of concrete the other day. It can pick it up no problem, but I had the forks about 1 inch off center and I got one of the rear tires to lift up. Funny, I was always mad at my old 245 for not lifting enough, and now I worry about lifting too much.

I think I will look at those wheel extentions.

Jerry

/ L48 wider stance for stability #7  
Wheel extentions arent going to fix that problem, the will give you more stability on hills, but thats about it. You need more counterweight, either pick up something heavy in the hoe and extend in back a bit, or if your hoeless "har har" then use a ballast box on the 3 pt or add more weight. Whats happening is the loader is lifting the rears using the front axle as the fulcrum point which is able to pivot side to side. So as soon as the rear lifts a 1/4" it will start to roll on the front axle and go whichever way is heavier or down hill, thus making the tractor tip to one side regardless of rear tire spacing. Hope that makes sense.

/ L48 wider stance for stability #8  
The tractor I have now is an L48 and the lifting capacity is high enough that I have lifted a rear tire on occasion. So that is why I want to widen the tires. I tried to lift 24 sacks of concrete the other day. It can pick it up no problem, but I had the forks about 1 inch off center and I got one of the rear tires to lift up. Funny, I was always mad at my old 245 for not lifting enough, and now I worry about lifting too much.

I think I will look at those wheel extentions.

Jerry

Jerry no one has ask so I have to. Do you have your rear tires filled with liquid ballast? I have a B21 and L39 that could do as you describe before the rear tires were ballasted. As far as I know the only option to widen your stance on the Kubota commercial series TLB'S are spacers from an after market company.

MarkV