B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size

/ B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size #1  

Tompet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 20, Kubota B3300, BH77, Massey Ferguson 1540
I ordered a Kubota B3300 TLB and one decision was tire size vs FEL bucket size.
54" standard or the 60" light materials bucket. I wanted the 54" bucket for two reasons, first it would seem the wider 60" bucket would put more (potential) torque over time on the loader frame if you do any aggressive grading (thoughts on this?) and second it keeps the unit a little more maneuverable in woods etc.
I finally saw at a local dealer's lot a similar 72" light materials bucket in person and what first appears as a narrower cutting edge than a standard bucket is just a difference in how it is placed and welded compared to a standard bucket. Construction appears just as strong so strength not an issue. As I believe and others have said, the light materials is a warning to operator not to abuse the size in relation to tractor it is attached. I'm probably sticking with the 54".

The 3300 has larger R4's (front and back) standard which makes the rear tire spread just under 59" wide (the larger R4 fronts would still be under 54" wide). I do like the larger R4's for a couple of other reasons like stability, clearance, and maybe better with larger BH hanging off back.

But, I asked the dealer why not switch the smaller R4's from a 3200 to the 3300 which they had to confirm with Kubota for potential warranty reasons. This switch would then make the 3300 rear tire spread 54". Initially, Kubota said no, but when it was pointed out that both the 3200 and 3300 share the exact same size turf or R1 tires Kubota then said the switch would make no difference.

Anyway, all of this leads me to the questions.
What is your opinion of the larger R4's 59" wide rear tire spread (fronts are still less than 54") with a 54" FEL bucket? Or should I stick with tire switch?
Any opinion on larger rear filled tires placing more torque on rear axles?

Photo shows 3300 on left 3200 right. In person the difference in tire size is quite noticeable.

Attachments

• b3300_3200-side-by-side.jpg
    b3300_3200-side-by-side.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 606
   / B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size #2  
I ordered a Kubota B3300 TLB and one decision was tire size vs FEL bucket size.
54" standard or the 60" light materials bucket. I wanted the 54" bucket for two reasons, first it would seem the wider 60" bucket would put more (potential) torque over time on the loader frame if you do any aggressive grading (thoughts on this?) and second it keeps the unit a little more maneuverable in woods etc.
I finally saw at a local dealer's lot a similar 72" light materials bucket in person and what first appears as a narrower cutting edge than a standard bucket is just a difference in how it is placed and welded compared to a standard bucket. Construction appears just as strong so strength not an issue. As I believe and others have said, the light materials is a warning to operator not to abuse the size in relation to tractor it is attached. I'm probably sticking with the 54".

The 3300 has larger R4's (front and back) standard which makes the rear tire spread just under 59" wide (the larger R4 fronts would still be under 54" wide). I do like the larger R4's for a couple of other reasons like stability, clearance, and maybe better with larger BH hanging off back.

But, I asked the dealer why not switch the smaller R4's from a 3200 to the 3300 which they had to confirm with Kubota for potential warranty reasons. This switch would then make the 3300 rear tire spread 54". Initially, Kubota said no, but when it was pointed out that both the 3200 and 3300 share the exact same size turf or R1 tires Kubota then said the switch would make no difference.

Anyway, all of this leads me to the questions.
What is your opinion of the larger R4's 59" wide rear tire spread (fronts are still less than 54") with a 54" FEL bucket? Or should I stick with tire switch?
Any opinion on larger rear filled tires placing more torque on rear axles?

Photo shows 3300 on left 3200 right. In person the difference in tire size is quite noticeable.

Tire size and weight make all the difference in what the tractor can do. If I had had the option of larger tires when I bought my 3200 I would have gone for the bigger tires.:)
The 3200/3300 has loads of power and is capable of great feats when it has the weight and rubber to use the power.

/ B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size #3  
Fill the larger tires and it will greatly add weight for digging with the BH. Wish I also had more weight for my little BX. It would make the BH much nicer

/ B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size #4  
Either larger tires and wider bucket or smaller tires and smaller bucket. DO NOT get a tire set up that is wider than your bucket! That will cause all sorts of aggravation when backfilling, grading, etc.

/ B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size #5  
Tom,

I have the 54" bucket on my B3300SU and can't tell that the tires are wider than the bucket. If you think about it, the tire spread is only 5" wider which is only 2 1/2" wider than the bucket on each side. I've done backfilling and grading with my FEL bucket and don't remember there being a problem with the wider tires. My tires are filled and I don't think it adds too much weight to the tractor. This is one tough little tractor. So, I would stick to the larger tires and fill them. If you are going to be loading heavy materials (dirt, sand, rock, etc.) I think you made a wise choice sticking to the 54" bucket and I would rather have the bigger, heavier tires to go with it, especially with that backhoe. We talked about this in our PM, so you already know my opinion, but do get some others opinions as well. Congratulations on ordering your tractor. I think your going to love the B3300SU, I know I do.:thumbsup:

Dan

/ B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size
Dan, I was going to acknowledge your input from your PM, but you beat me to it. Your point about the 2.5" per side was what i was thinking, but did not present it that way. Your PM started me rethinking the setup!
Everyone made valid points. I was trying to keep the setup nimble for confined spaces.

On the specs the larger tires add 1' to the turning radius...if that makes much of a real world difference...I don't know. I was thinking that the BH and a 3pt. attachment I have could benefit from the larger loaded tires. I do think the question of torque on a 60" vs 54" bucket for the FEL frame could also be an issue over time.

This isn't my first tractor set up this way, but this choice got me thinking (obsessing more like it). I know a wider tire set than FEL is not ideal. I appreciate the free opinions given on this site!

/ B3300 FEL Bucket vs Tire Size #7  
Tom, either way you decide to go, be sure and post some pics of the new tractor when you get it. We all LOVE pictures of the new toys, uh, tools!:D

Dan