Tires L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #1  

tibzy

Tractor
kubota, L3130HST
I have a Kubota L-3130 and last spring my right tire fell off. It is 4wd. Thespindle came out. The two retainer clips broke due to a failed bearing in the front axle. I replaced all the parts new. shortly afterwards my daughter pointed out to me that the tire looked crooked compared to the other. I thought it was just the way the tractor was sitting. Well...now my front tire is wearing out on the outside. If you take the tire off, tou can see the hub is on an angle. I can't see how it can be?????There is no wrong way to put it together.
Any suggestions.

Attachments

• tractor 003.jpg
    tractor 003.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 518
  • tractor 007.jpg
    tractor 007.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 555
   / L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #2  
They are all like that to help steering. Unless your tire pressure is really high it usually wears evenly. Mine did right down to bald.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem.
It is a much more defined angle on the right side than it is on the left. Could have been tire pressure but I don't think it is that simple. I did adjust the toe in when I replaced the parts.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #4  
It is a much more defined angle on the right side than it is on the left. Could have been tire pressure but I don't think it is that simple. I did adjust the toe in when I replaced the parts.

Too much toe in will cause that.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem.
Would the toe in cause it on only one side? It is only happening on the right.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #6  
Excessive toe-in can cause the tires to wear, usually both sides equally. Park the tractor on a smooth, level surface. Place a carpenter's square against each front rim and measure the difference top to bottom. If the left and right side measurements are substantially different, something is wrong. Lift the front wheels off the ground and check for looseness by grabbing the tire at the top and bottom and giving it a good push and pull. There should be no play in the steering pivot.
Let us know what you find.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #7  
In the service manuals it tells you how to set toe by measuring at the tires, hub height from side to side at the front and rear of the tires. While your measurements would tell you that you have (let's just say) 8mm toe in it may not be equal side to side. You might have 8mm tow in on the right side and none on the left. To find that you have to measure from the tires ,like it says in the book, to the frame to make sure you are even side to side. This may not be your problem at all but something to consider when setting toe.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #8  
We often find that with tractors driven on the road they will wear the right front on the outside edge.

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #9  
You will have what will appear to be a LOT of positive camber... ON both sides. If the other side does not look the same, I bet the bearings are about to fail on that side.

The toe in will be correctly measured from wheel to wheel... and you can never have more on one wheel than the other.

Thrust Angle of the rear axle could cause some tire wear, if it were way off, but it would only show up if it was ALWAYS under a heavy pulling load while also having a lot of weight on the loader.

I would suspect:
First. Tire pressure.
Second. The worn out bearings allowed excessive toe out.
Third. A combination of those two...

Take it Out of 4WD on hard surfaces KennyV

/ L-3130-HST right tire wear on outside. front axle problem. #10  
Jack it up and see if you actually have only 3 wheel drive. If a drive spindle broke off, then there may be some residual unbalanced drag/thrust force.

I also agree with the toe and pressure suggestions, although both cambers ought to be the same if the rear tires are the same rolling radius. I presume they are the same size and the same loaded or unloaded condition.

Swap the front tires and ride around straight on some concrete. There ought to be formation of a similar wear state on both tires. Look for some serious rubber marks on the pavement if there is a problem.