L-series front axle service

/ L-series front axle service #1  

Chilly807

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT
If you're changing the front axle fluids in your L-series tractor (mine's an L3400), you may want to re-check the level after operating it a little while.

I think the bevel gear cases get an air-lock situation when you first add oil, and it takes a while for the air to work itself out.

After it finally gets out, you may be able to add as much as two more litres (quarts) of oil to bring the final level to where it's supposed to be.

I'd heard a few stories about the oil level being low when new owners checked it, this would explain that. The tractors are shipped with the right side bevel gear case removed to make the shipping skid smaller, so they're filled at the dealers after being assembled before we get them. I doubt they run them enough to get all the air out.

Sean

/ L-series front axle service #2  
Sean,
Does the L series have the vent plugs on the outer gear housings?
I changed out the gear oil on my BX a few monthes ago and was able to fill the gearcase full on the first try, opening the vents. These are located just inboard of the wheels, at the top of the axle case.

/ L-series front axle service
As far as I can see it doesn't have them.

Sean

/ L-series front axle service #4  
Thanks for the reminder... :thumbsup: I need to check it...

/ L-series front axle service #5  
I'm checking mine today too! Thanks! By the way, did you use the UDT or Gear oil? I used the UDT, but it kind of seems like a thicker oil would be in order.

I used 80/90 gear oil, I had it on hand and it's designed for rear ends and differentials. If it weren't for the rear axle sharing the fluid with the hydraulic system, it would have gear oil in it as well.

The UDT seems to do a fine job nonetheless. The higher viscosity of the gear oil may be part of the reason it's so slow going into the front bevel gear cases.

Sean

/ L-series front axle service #7  
WOW!!! 2.2 QUARTS low on mine!!! :mad: I hope it didn't hurt it too bad. I got to check my manual, when does it get changed and how much (total) oil should be in there???

I would recommend others to check it sooner vs. later... Thanks Chilly

/ L-series front axle service #8  
FWD, My L3000 front axle has L2250 cast into the right rear side of it. Kubota used these axles on a bunch of models..I am using 80/90 in it and it is not leaking at all. Has 750 hrs showing. Not sure about the quality, but my testing the drains showed clean oil and no shavings coming out with the test draining.

/ L-series front axle service #9  
After seeing this thread back in May I checked my L3010 and found it was down a little over a quart. I had changed the axle fluid last fall. I didn't keep track of how much I put in. It should take 6 Qts. Next time I will take better notice.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of these axles that are in service are low in oil unless the owner has checked them after running them for a while.

I rechecked mine after I topped it up in April, the level stayed the same.

Sean