Oil & Fuel Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick

/ Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick #1  

Bluelick

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100
I changed the oil in my B7100 yesterday, first time I had done it. The oil was well above the full mark on the dipstick when I got it. I drained the old oil, put on a new filter and filled it with oil, ran it and checked the dipstick. Shows right at the upper line on the dipstick. The thing is that it only took about three quarts (around 3/4 of a one gallon jug). The manual specs the oil capacity at 4.1 quarts. I know sometimes there is a difference between the "oil change" amount and the "engine rebuild" capacity, because you never get all the old oil out, but this seems like a lot to me.

By the way, my tractor is a 1984 HST-e and the specs I was looking at are from the non-HST B7100, but I'm thinking the motors should be the same, and so the oil capacity as well, right?

Can anybody shed light on this?

/ Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick #2  
Is there only one drain plug? My L3400 has two drain plugs, one on each side of the front drive shaft "tunnel" in the oil pan. If it has two and you only removed one, it leaves a significant amount of old oil in the pan.

Sean

/ Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick
Great question, Sean. I'll check that. I'm flying blind on this, so any help appreciated.

/ Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick #4  
Funny, I just posted something similar, but kind of the opposite issue. I changed the oil, put in the stated capacity, but the oil level is halfway between full and add on the dipstick. Anyway, my tractor (Kubota M7040SUD) is the same as another posted with two oil drain plugs, one on each side of the front drive shaft. The oil pan cavity on each side is substantial and if your tractor is that way, it could very well explain the discrepancy between the capacity and what she'd swallow.

/ Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick #5  
My B holds about 3 qts

I see only one drain plug. My B7100 is two wheel drive, so there is no front drive shaft to create the kind of double-bowl oil pan you described.

/ Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick #7  
We had a thread here a while back about oil capacities, it revolved around the advertised capacity being to the top of the acceptable range, at the mid-point, or the bottom. I guess it comes down to if you're satisfied that the old oil drained fully and the dipstick reads the new oil level correctly, the manual may not be gospel :confused:

Sean

There is also the consideration of there being a fair accumulation of gunk that doesn't drain, I suppose.

/ Oil capacity B7100 vs dipstick #9  
There is also the consideration of there being a fair accumulation of gunk that doesn't drain, I suppose.

Unless it's in really poor shape, I doubt you have enough buildup to actually notice a difference.

Sean