Individual Rear Brakes

/ Individual Rear Brakes #1  

beckmurph

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610 TLB
So what is the purpose of this style brake? I hadn't thought of this until JOHNTHOMAS started talking about his Number 14. I just had to see one in person, and there are 3 pedals on one side :confused:. Why?

/ Individual Rear Brakes #2  
Individual, or split brakes allow for a very tight turn when only one brake is applied. The tractor can literally spin in one place. Also, and probably more useful for most applications, when using heavy ground engaging equipment, sometimes the front wheels can have a very hard time steering the tractor, due to the greater forces happening in the back. Split brakes will allow the operator to "brake steer" and keep the tractor and implements moving in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Joe

/ Individual Rear Brakes #3  
If you are pulling a ground engaging implement, a disk for example, the pull of the implement overcomes the ability of the front tires to steer. So if you head in to the corner of the fence and your steering won't let you turn. And the disk won't let you back up. You need a little something extra to help you out. That's what steering brakes do best.

/ Individual Rear Brakes
Well, I understand now. Thanks for your quick replys:thumbsup:.

/ Individual Rear Brakes #5  
The split brakes are also handy when using a front or rear blade that's angled. Keeps you on the straight and narrow.
Nice for a 4WD tractor, essential for a 2WD tractor.

/ Individual Rear Brakes #6  
As mentioned, several situations in which split brakes will help. When using ground engagement equipment, it is important to keep your tractor properly weighted to let your front wheels do the steering. By using the rear brakes for steering, you lose some pulling power which can get you stuck. For most of us who don't farm it won't be an issued, but it can happen; been in that situation when I was farming.

A lot will depend on your tractor too as I have driven some on which the rear brakes were pretty useless for steering. Also I never use the split brakes on my L5030, but use them regularly with our M8540.