Home/Catlettsburg Farm/Robinson Creek, Ky
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200TLB BX25(sold) b2620TLB(sold)

Default Individual Rear Brakes

So what is the purpose of this style brake? I hadn't thought of this until JOHNTHOMAS started talking about his Number 14. I just had to see one in person, and there are 3 pedals on one side . Why?

2012 B3200TLB Woods RB72 Rear Blade Woods RFM60 Finish Mower Woods BrushBull BB48 Rotary Cutter

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Default Re: Individual Rear Brakes

Individual, or split brakes allow for a very tight turn when only one brake is applied. The tractor can literally spin in one place. Also, and probably more useful for most applications, when using heavy ground engaging equipment, sometimes the front wheels can have a very hard time steering the tractor, due to the greater forces happening in the back. Split brakes will allow the operator to "brake steer" and keep the tractor and implements moving in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Joe
    Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

If you are pulling a ground engaging implement, a disk for example, the pull of the implement overcomes the ability of the front tires to steer. So if you head in to the corner of the fence and your steering won't let you turn. And the disk won't let you back up. You need a little something extra to help you out. That's what steering brakes do best.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Home/Catlettsburg Farm/Robinson Creek, Ky
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200TLB BX25(sold) b2620TLB(sold)

Well, I understand now. Thanks for your quick replys.

2012 B3200TLB Woods RB72 Rear Blade Woods RFM60 Finish Mower Woods BrushBull BB48 Rotary Cutter

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

The split brakes are also handy when using a front or rear blade that's angled. Keeps you on the straight and narrow.
    Nice for a 4WD tractor, essential for a 2WD tractor.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

As mentioned, several situations in which split brakes will help. When using ground engagement equipment, it is important to keep your tractor properly weighted to let your front wheels do the steering. By using the rear brakes for steering, you lose some pulling power which can get you stuck. For most of us who don't farm it won't be an issued, but it can happen; been in that situation when I was farming.

A lot will depend on your tractor too as I have driven some on which the rear brakes were pretty useless for steering. Also I never use the split brakes on my L5030, but use them regularly with our M8540.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html