Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn

/ Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn #1  

Rockin' G Ranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HST with FEL
I have a L4740 HST and noticed the rubber boot on a front axle is torn.

1. Is it critical that this boot be replaced?
2. How difficult is it to replace?

Thanks.

/ Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn #2  
   / Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn #3  
Mine's been torn forever (600+ hours) and the replacement tore too. I have decided its easier to replace the socket joint once it wears out. So far it is still tight, I wallop grease onto it each time I grease the loader.

/ Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn #4  
Mine's been torn forever (600+ hours) and the replacement tore too. I have decided its easier to replace the socket joint once it wears out. So far it is still tight, I wallop grease onto it each time I grease the loader.

I may wind up doing the same thing as I usually manage to mow some pretty bad stuff regularly.

/ Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn #5  
I don't know about tractors, but I've replaced a few on my Rhino a few times. After putting the boot on, make sure to "burp" it by sticking a flathead screwdriver between shaft and boot to let it equalize pressure. I think in my case (Rhino will do about 40mph), the air expansion from heat caused it to blow out.

/ Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn #6  
I don't know about tractors, but I've replaced a few on my Rhino a few times. After putting the boot on, make sure to "burp" it by sticking a flathead screwdriver between shaft and boot to let it equalize pressure. I think in my case (Rhino will do about 40mph), the air expansion from heat caused it to blow out.

The boot on the Rhino is on a CV joint which really has to be replaced or you will wind up buying a new CV joint. The boot on the tractor is on the tie rod.

/ Front Axle Rubber Boot is Torn #7  
The boot on the Rhino is on a CV joint which really has to be replaced or you will wind up buying a new CV joint. The boot on the tractor is on the tie rod.

disregard my post then! :eek: